1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Legends that have stayed too long?

Discussion in 'Championship' started by Super_horns, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    A lot of of our fans have been saying it's time for Troy Deeney to go as he is past his best and not good enough anymore.

Are there any great players for your club who have probably been kept on just that year or so too long and not moved on maybe out of loyalty or the club didn't want to lose them?

2. KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    Could go on about legend status and modern football but I'm not going to and I'll just say Russell Martin. He's considered a legend by a lot of our fanbase but for me a player that stuck around far too long. Good right back in his first few seasons but played a majority of his time in central defence where he was for the most part not up to scratch.

I think he was very good at the politics that goes on inside football clubs. Can't imagine he'd make 120 odd Premier League appearances for us if he wasn't.

Super_horns likes this.
  3. Super_horns

Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    I guess sometimes players are kept on at clubs because they have an impact around the dressing room and in the club as you say even if their on pitch impact is limited.

Or sometimes they aren't replaced very well which has probably been the case with us and Troy.

4. NotsoPosh

NotsoPosh Small Fry against The Big Fish

Supports:
    P. U. F. C.
    We have an obsession of bringing ol' legends back.
    The likes of George Boyd , Aaron MacLean, Craig Mackail Smith , Lee Tomlin have all been back in their 30's & have all been sh*te here's hoping we've learned a lesson & don't repeat that road even if it does sell a few replica shirts !

Deeney should go to his boyhood club Bluenoses for his last couple of seasons , could they afford him ?

5. prestonmike

prestonmike Registered User

Supports:
    preston
    not a legend who stayed too long, but we should never have re signed David Nugent, PNE fans still love him from his first spell here but he was nowhere near good enough for the championship when we signed him 2nd time round

6. Super_horns

Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Well he'd have to take quite a pay cut from his 70k a week but maybe because they are his first love he would do that in a year or two.

Mind you think Troy still fancies himself in the Premier league which some of our fans say shows he has a big ego and only thinking of himself.

Trouble is like many older players a few injuries have impacted on Deeney's fitness and he actually hasn't scored many goals other that penalties in the past 18 months or so.

But nor have our other younger strikers!

Least he has done some good for us - not sure anyone can say the same for Andre Gray (save the odd goal) and Issac Success.

#6 Super_horns, Jun 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  7. BelizeHatter

BelizeHatter Registered User

Supports:
    Luton Town
    You signed em up to those contracts, so its your fault.

And you still dont learn. Throwing around 5 year contracts last coue of weeksfor unknowns. FIVE years. Who does that loooool.

Hope you arent too dopey to include relegation clauses as wed like a season again as you again before you plummet back

MagpieBee likes this.
  8. Super_horns

Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Thanks for your input.

Very useful .

;)

Some valid points to be fair !

We have got a few players on long term contracts.

Seems to be a Pozzo trend .

Players do have relegation pay cut clauses but not the high earners .

#8 Super_horns, Jun 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    BelizeHatter likes this.
  9. Tigerferry

Tigerferry Hull City is our name

Supports:
    Hull City
    Andy Dawson probably the most recent example, but it's not an extreme case either. Only last 1.5 years and he was reliable back up during that time.

Deano and Ashbee only spent 6 months longer than they should had, and Deano still scored a goal in the top flight for us in his limited appearances. Most known for having a spat with Marlon King at the time. Getting rid of Ashbee right after recovering from another nasty injury would have been harsh.

Barmby's debatable as he wasn't all that useful in the top flight but he played a decent super sub role under Pearson in the Championship, so I don't think I'll include him.

Not a "legend" but Matt Duke's quite liked here. He managed to get up the divisions with us as Myhill's back up. Once Boaz left, he didn't take the chance and he subsequently went back down the leagues. Still...he did a fine job as back up to Bo & never complained.

Prior to that we lost mostly lost players before they had a chance to stay for too long, or were actually gotten rid of at a decent time.

Now for shite players we kept for too long, that's another story...

SamB_SCFC likes this.
  10. Deacon27

Deacon27 Registered User

Supports:
    Stoke City
    In hindsight, Peter Crouch didn't really need a final year with us in the Championship.

Looking back we'd have been better off selling Jack Butland after relegation. His confidence was shot and he needed a fresh start.

Ryan Shawcross' was injured (mostly) in his last two years, though he was probably still an important player to have around the dressing room.

Super_horns likes this.
  11. Tigerferry

Tigerferry Hull City is our name

Supports:
    Hull City
    Are Crouch and Butland Stoke legends though? That seems to be lowering the bar a bit

SamB_SCFC likes this.
  12. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    I think Michael Dawson was finished a year ago. His contract has just ran out and he's decided to retire.

Sadly in the last 20 years we have signed plenty of journeyman best their past by date but very few that were considered legends so apart from Daws it's very hard to fill this category.

Super_horns likes this.
  13. Deacon27

Deacon27 Registered User

Supports:
    Stoke City
    Crouch deserves a nod for being in our top 20 all-time goalscorers with most of them coming in the top flight.

Butland, thinking about it I tend to agree. He was on the brink of becoming something very special but never hit the same heights after he fractured his ankle against Germany. I'd put Asmir Begovic above him as our best Premier League keeper.

SamB_SCFC likes this.
  14. Adz

Adz Pizza Champions 2021.

Supports:
    Sunderland AFC
    And managers :D

NotsoPosh likes this.
  15. NotsoPosh

Supports:
    P. U. F. C.
    :laugh:

Good shout .

Fergie's the only one who tolerates DMac's interference from sourcing players to selling best ones each season & most probably wanting a couple of his favourite players / ones in the shop window to play week in week out even when out of form & or disruptive to the team in general , troubled Marcus Maddison springs to mind with his £2.5 million buy out clause .

Give Fergie his do , he usually gets us promoted in his 1st or 2nd season , then relegated in his 3rd .

2/1 with sky sports , throw in Norwich relegated from Premiership at evens nice little double .

16. Blind Bigot

Blind Bigot Blind & Totally Bigotted

Supports:
    The Mighty Terriers.
    What's a Legend? :laugh:

17. NotsoPosh

Supports:
    P. U. F. C.
    A leg end without the gap ! :D