1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

MMA

Discussion in 'General Sport' started by DCFCforever, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Machida

Machida Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool.
    No win in 6 fights and finished in 4 of those losses. It's definitely time to bow out. He's a legend and relatively healthy considering the amount of fights he's had but he can't take a shot anymore.

2. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    To be fair, three of those were to Ferguson, Gaethje & McGregor and to even be put in fights like that you've got to be doing well. Anthony Pettis thought Cowboy beat him as well, and a draw with Niko Price isn't horrendous but after last night he should call it a day.

He sounds like he wants one more to put it right, but that's where things start to end up badly if he's just chasing that win. It's unfortunate for him that Diego got pulled out, because I think he'd have beaten him.

He's 38, which is old for a lightweight/welterweight and has clear weaknesses that any decent young prospect is going to be able to exploit. It'll have to be the UFC that makes the decision though, I just don't think Cowboy's the sort of guy to give up on anything.

Machida likes this.
  3. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Maybe sit Tony Ferguson down too.

Edit: Really fun main event.

#3503 A Gooner, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
  4. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Just remember ALL CAPS when you spell the man name

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Chuffed to bits for oliveira. Great finish and he looked done the round before. He would have wilted under The pressure a couple of years ago

Great fight between Barbosa/Burgos, but wtf happened at the end? Ive never seen a delayed reaction like that other than body shots.

#3504 Jonny Ninja, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Machida likes this.
  5. Machida

Machida Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool.
    Very pleased for Oliveira. Been a long journey for him to the title, gotta be one of the longest in UFC history. He's improved so much and deserves that belt.

Tony seems a shadow of the fighter he was. Probably not time for retirement just yet but you've gotta question 3 straight losses, albeit against top fighters. Dariush can't be far from a title shot at this point. Another one of those guys that had some bad losses but improved from them and has been on a tear up since.

Barboza fight was good. Looks good at FW. The finish was weird but I recall Oliveira having a similar delayed reaction to a KO years ago. Might have been against Cub or Cowboy. On the under card, sadly probably the end for Jacare now. 4 on the bounce and subbed for the first time. He's had a good career and should probably call it a day now imo.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  6. nazzac

nazzac Registered User

Supports:
    Football
    As a Tony fan that was hard to watch. I think he is washed at this point and a shell of the fighter he was a few years ago. You can see that he is slower and his confidence is not where it once was. He was so gun shy in this fight and he was backing up a lot which is not like him at all. I think Justin took a bit of Tony with him last year

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  7. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Yeah I feel the same dude. Love tony as a fighter but age, along with that gaethje fight has aged him horribly. He literally looks a shadow of where he was 2 years ago. As a fan I really hope he looks to call it a day soon.

8. nazzac

nazzac Registered User

Supports:
    Football
    I think Din Thomas was spot on too when he mentioned how Tony's unorthadox style that made him so special in his prime is now hindering as he physically declines. He doesn't have the fundamentals to fall back on like some of the other older fighters, and lightweight is a young mans game too

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  9. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Rob Font looked pretty good.

10. Machida

Machida Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool.
    Stacked card tonight. Can't wait.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  11. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Seriously running out of....I dunno if it's patience or effort with Nate Diaz.

You've won 4 fights in 9 years. You aren't allowed to showboat. You aren't allowed to play 'mind games' because they clearly don't ****ing work. He was schooled by Edwards for 95% of the fight tonight. And he's obviously a ****ing idiot too. More interested in pointing at his opponent and giving off the big I am look instead of finishing the fight tonight. It must have been a good 10 seconds at the end when he wobbled Edwards before he threw another punch. He would have won if he swarmed him.

I get it's an entertainment business. Put him in with fighters who are just as durable as he is and let him have 'fun' with them instead. Put him in with McGregor again. Everybody is happy then.

Tony Adams likes this.
  12. Tony Adams

Tony Adams Mr Arsenal

Supports:
    Arsenal
  13. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    I’m a fan of both. They are a pair of twats but they come to fight every time, they are warriors, and unique imo. Daley vs nick & nate vs Conor 1 are 2 of my all time favourite fights

14. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Big fan of Brad riddell. His fight with drew dober has to be one of the fights of the year

Cotterill:49 likes this.
  15. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Some thoughts on last weekend, which I loved.

Riddell-Dober was phenomenal. I really rate Drew Dober, and think he's definitely got a future in the UFC. He's happy to fight whoever, has a chin of granite and will go on the front foot and go for it whoever he's facing. Riddell has that right-hand cocked back like Izzy does, and definitely has a lot of potential to be another one from that gym to go far.

The Jamahal Hill break/dislocation was horrible refereeing. It was so evident, horrible injury. Paul Craig's on a good run now which is good for the UK scene, hopefully he can get a big fight off of that win.

Leon Edwards does nothing easily. It's always one more twist and turn in the road, and it never seems to be his day. Skill level wise he's top four in the division comfortably with Usman, Colby & Burns, but he doesn't seem to get the attention and always seems too far away to be demanding a rematch for the title. Hopefully he gets his day, he's a great fighter and possibly pound for pound the best in terms of pure skill as an all round martial artists from the UK?

The Brandon Moreno title win was such a great scene, he's such a lovable character. I'm so glad the UFC didn't cut the division, we've had some great fights recently and I think there's plenty of stories to be told at that weight as time goes on.

Adesanya was very good again, he's just above so much of his competition and Vettori had nothing for him. Whittaker's got the best shot of beating him, but you'd have to back Izzy in any fight he's in at that weight right now.

Vettori hopefully doesn't follow his fighting career with a career in judging. Honestly comical how he thought he might have won that fight, hard to believe his reactions as well after his coaches told him he'd lost the round every time they went in to the corner.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  16. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    edwards is easily the best U.K. fighter, skill wise. I think he’s under rated. he didn’t really do himself any favours by getting caught late, but he was excellent for the most part. That probably lost him the title shot, which is fckin ridiculous tbh. That may be the first time I’ve ever seen him hurt.
    He does everything well, some things very well. I also think he can beat anyone in the division, on his day, except usman!
    It’s nonsense that he doesn’t get the next shot, especially as Colby got smashed to pieces by him only a couple of fights ago. He should try to get the masvidal fight. It’s a dangerous, but very winnable fight, and would pretty much guarantee a title shot

MWs is going to start looking like the Anderson silva era at this rate. He is a clear level above everyone else, and these guys aren’t really challenging him. Can’t see him going back I up to LHW as 20lbs is just too big of a jump, so he’ll have to recycle the division soon

17. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    He is now for sure, I was saying all time. Bisping's clearly achieved more, but in terms of pure skill as an all rounder I think Edwards is more skilled. The game's developed a lot though even in the short time since he's retired.

He does do everything well, and as a result I think he's always likely to almost fight to the standard of his opposition. He isn't going to go out there and take major risks, but that technically sound, low-risk style with the speed and precision he has is going to be so difficult for someone to beat. Love it that he's coached by a team for Birmingham as well.

Masvidal's a great fight for him, I think it'd be a huge fight and a PPV headliner if the UFC wanted it to be. I'd have him favourite to win it as well, and yes a win against Masvidal guarantees him a title shot.

Yeah it does, it's a very similar situation to Usman at 170 now. The weight division jumps are huge for both, and it seems like both see their challenge as going round and beating everyone a second time in a more dominant fashion than the first. To do that in this era of martial arts, where there's so much depth in quality in the organisation is something that I don't think enough people really appreciate. It's so difficult to do, and can go wrong in an instant.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  18. Jonny Ninja

Supports:
    West Ham United
    Yeah I think he’s technically much better than bisping. Similar in some ways, Jack of al trades, does everything well, but I don’t see any real weaknesses with Leon, maybe gas tank as he doesn’t fight at a high pace. Mikes stamina was incredible, but his defence and tdd weren’t as good, but the fight game is as much mental as physical. Very few fighters had as much bottle and heart as bisping. They are probably about on par, all things considered. I honestly can’t think of a fight I enjoyed more than bisping vs Rockhold 2.

I don’t blame usman for not going up, and have all the respect in the world for adesanya fighting jan. 15 and 20 lbs is a huge step up. In the lower weights on boxing that’s 5-6 weight classes. it’s the equivalent of a WW taking on a LHW!
    These guys seem to take shit from fans for not moving up and ‘challenging themselves’. It’s laughable, size and strength are an even bigger advantage in MMA than boxing