1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News related stuff that doesn't really deserve its own thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by RedDevilsShinja, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Zydus

Zydus Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    ****ing Guardian as expected sent their Muslim correspondent who has whitewashed the violence of the Muslims gangs and blamed it on us. Typical.
    Even her twitter thread is revealing. One community is bad, while look how youth from her community is helping a woman cross the road. Lol.

That despite the desecration of a temple caught on tape, Hindu homes being targeted and a Hindu boy almost getting beaten to death(again caught in tape).

Keep whitewashing the violence, bad behaviour and even grooming of that community. Weirdos.

Panja, Garrincha, Mowgli and 3 others like this.
  2. Garrincha

Garrincha More neutral than most

Supports:
    Bayern Munich, Germany, Liverpool
  3. Tornado

Tornado Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Tipping Point is well fixed.

FACT!!

TLC likes this.
  4. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    British summer time all year ?

5. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wales
    Far East bookies receive millions in bets every episode.

6. stephen jenkins

stephen jenkins Registered User

Supports:
    leicester city
    :D

7. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    This has been rumoured for years. Lighter evenings would cut crime, make it safer for children leaving school and people commuting and things like that. And I'm sure there must be economic costs incurred from having to change the clocks twice a year so it does make sense.

I bet there's some consequences though. I'm sure that it was originally brought in to give farmers an extra hour of daylight in the mornings during the winter months, I wonder if changing technology has made that less of an issue now? It'll certainly be weird if it happens because long, dark evenings are part of life in Britain and it'll make it feel a bit different in the winter.

Super_horns likes this.
  8. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wales

To be fair have never understood this less crime thing. Do dodgy looking scrotes clock in at say 5pm when it would be pitch black or will they now delay working their patch until 6pm.

Anything that saves the lights going on for an hour early seven times a week has to be considered with the cost of energy now.

Saves me having to change the 534 clocks we have in the house twice a year as well.

9. Flip

Flip Registered User

Supports:
    Man Utd
    You don't understand that crimes are more commonplace under the veil of darkness?

10. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wales
    Not disputing that. My point was that the crooks with their bags of swag will just go out doing their work when it goes dark, just delaying things by an hour.

We should have police on every street corner with a whistle to alert the copper on the next road.

11. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    I don't see how this will make a difference, we can't change the number of hours of daylight we get so if it's lighter for longer in the evenings it'll be darker for longer in the mornings. :shrug

12. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City
    I think the point is that people will still generally live their lives around the same hours as they do now, but the environment around them will be different. So if it goes dark later, less people will be out on the street when it goes dark than would be under the current time zones so there's less potential victims of crime out and about in the hours of darkness. Criminals are likely to still go home and go to bed at the same times as they do now so having one less hour to commit their crimes might mean that there's one hour less time for the spontaneous opportunities that they look for to develop etc. I'm sure there's loads of crime statistics and criminal psychology studies that back it up.

13. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    It might affect bees, who don't fly in the dark.

14. SamB_SCFC

SamB_SCFC FF Old Skool

Supports:
    Stoke City

I think the argument is that in the early morning before 8am people are generally in their homes and not on the street. While in the evening in the first hour of darkness in the winter around 4-5pm there are a lot of people out and about and potentially there to fall victim to crime. So making it lighter for an hour longer in the evening will prevent a decent number of crimes while the extra hour of darkness in the morning is unlikely to cause a significant amount of extra morning crime.

And I'm guessing the logic with energy is that the temperature is warmer during daylight hours so if it goes dark an hour later in the evening people might use a bit less heating before they go to bed. And people generally turn the heating off overnight.

15. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wales

Of course there are people more qualified than me to argue their case.

16. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    In the winter you'll have schoolkids going to school in the dark, I think they tried this as an experiment in the 60s but went back to changing the clocks.

17. Flip

Flip Registered User

Supports:
    Man Utd
    I'm fairly sure the point is that people travelling home have less chance of being a victim.

18. StretfordEnd

Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Far-right leader Giorgia Meloni has won Italy's election, according to exit polls, and is on course to become the country's first female prime minister.

If they are confirmed, Ms Meloni will aim to form Italy's most right-wing government since World War Two.

A Meloni-led Italy will alarm much of Europe with Russia at war in Ukraine.

She is predicted to win between 22-26% of the vote, says a Rai exit poll, ahead of her closest rival Enrico Letta from the centre left.

Several exit polls just published given her right-wing alliance a commanding lead, with 41-45% of the vote.

The centre left was well behind with 25.5%-29.5%. They failed to form a viable challenge with other parties, after Italy's 18-month national unity government collapsed in July.

Turnout was a dramatically low 64.7% by the time polls closed, said Italy's interior ministry. Voting levels were especially poor in southern regions including Sicily.

The decision on who becomes Italy's next leader is up to the president, not Giorgia Meloni, and that will take time.

Although she has worked hard to soften her image, emphasising her support for Ukraine and diluting anti-EU rhetoric, she leads a party rooted in a post-war movement that rose out of Benito Mussolini's fascists.

Her allies, Matteo Salvini of the far-right League, and Silvio Berlusconi's centre-right Forza Italia have both had close ties with Russia.

Italy's far right set to win election - exit poll

Garrincha likes this.
  19. Garrincha

Garrincha More neutral than most

Supports:
    Bayern Munich, Germany, Liverpool
    Berlusconi? That rings a bell...

20. Tshabs

Tshabs Fears Heights

Supports:
    West Ham
    Always great to see such lovely, positive, and forward-oriented people like fascists winning elections. This will absolutely not be a problem in the future. Why would anyone think that?