1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Next Crystal Palace Manager

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by CPFC2010, May 18, 2021.

1. Donnyrovers90

Donnyrovers90 Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    Fair enough I just wasn’t sure if there was some deeper history that I was missing :laugh:

Kirby likes this.
  2. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    For what it's worth I don't really want Ismael either (although he is an ex-Palace player and beautiful to look at).

Lampard's being touted around again by all the tabloids now. If it was going to be him we would've had him lined up in May, surely.

Still think it'll be Howe.

3. The Unbeliever

The Unbeliever Registered User

Supports:
    LCFC
    The trouble now is that because of the leaks any prospective manager knows they’re second choice. Not sure if that’ll effect who’s interested or not.

4. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Doubt it. A PL job is a PL job.

How much money the new man is promised to rebuild the squad will probably be the main bone of contention.

5. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Not sure anyone gives a shit about being 2nd choice. It’s just part of it. Ancelotti wasn’t first choice for Real, pretty sure he doesn’t give a flying f….

6. AFCB-Nutter

AFCB-Nutter Marauding Chezzer!

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    If you believe paper talk, Howe has pushed for the Everton job but been knocked back in favour of higher profile options. So if Palace are going for a second choice option and are worried it might offend, with Howe they would themselves be his second choice as well! There would be a certain symmetry to it, given his previous link and decision not to go there a decade ago.

7. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Having watched the first episode of our Amazon doc it's clear we came very close to appointing him in 2011. He was literally in the building and was spotted by his old mate Scott Guyett (who's still a coach at the club now). Parish was expecting him to sign but he suddenly rocked up at Burnley. Guessing that left a bit of a bad taste in SP's mouth, and Dougie Freedman wasn't exactly complimentary about Howe in the doc, but the chairman obviously rated him at the time and they clearly know each other reasonably well.

Now the Celtic job has gone and the Nuno deal seems dead it does seem like a logical fit. He's also a free agent and presumably wouldn't want to bring hundreds of backroom staff with him.

If it ends up being a choice between him and Cooper I'd like to think we'll go with the more experienced option. I've barely seen one Palace fan who wants Cooper.

8. AVA

AVA Juan Iturbe Fan Club Member

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    I know I'm biased but it would be bizarre if anyone did- he's not achieved even 5% of what Howe has and his Swansea team are well known for playing shit football.

Kirby likes this.
  9. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    I'd rather we re-sign Roy than appoint Cooper. Relegation waiting to happen IMO.

10. caisterman

caisterman Registered User

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Cooper is more likely for WBA....apparently. Also Reddington has left the club. Incoming :shrug

11. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    WBA won't be hefty compensation if any compo at all so Cooper won't be going there

12. Poole Jack

Poole Jack Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City
    Cmon Palace get your cheque book out pay the compo and take him off our hands.. preferably by Sunday if workable !

13. CPFC2010

CPFC2010 Registered User

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Not a fan either then? :laugh:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. CPFC2010

CPFC2010 Registered User

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Not a manager signing but:

I really think we will be looking for somebody to be ‘head coach’ instead of ‘manager’ within the near future, with how much we are spending on the academy and now investing in our scouting network. We’ll want someone to come in and work with our system not bring in their own one/people.

This bloke apparently scouted Buendia, so if he find a couple of players like that for us we’ll be onto a winner.

#174 CPFC2010, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    caisterman likes this.
  15. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Screams Steve Cooper.

V risky appointment IMO but good to see the club finally looking to build something long term.

16. CPFC2010

CPFC2010 Registered User

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Thank you for ruining my Monday night.

17. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Blame Chairman Beak :laugh:

Hopefully it's all a smokescreen and we suddenly announce someone decent.

18. CPFC2010

CPFC2010 Registered User

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Linked with Lucien Favre now. Know nothing about him but looks decent from what I've read? Likes to develop youth players anyway. @Dirk is he seen as a good manager in Germany? It's where he seems to have managed mostly.

19. Dirk

Dirk Hamburg, meine Perle

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    Yes! He managed at Hertha BSC, Gladbach, Dortmund. At every club he had some kind of success (relative success though, no championships or cups).

In Berlin he brought Hertha to a 4th place finish. A success long time no seen in our Capital.

In Gladbach he brought Borussia for the first time into the Champions League

At Borussia Dortmund he had some 2nd place finishes. More wasn't possible (although 3 years ago it looked like that Borussia could win the Bundesliga title when they had at the end of the first half 7-9 pts advantage to #2 in the standings but bad form in the 2nd half brought only the "usual standings with Bayern at #1" at the end)

btw: At Borussia Dortmund he had a better points average record than Jürgen Klopp ;) (OK, Klopp was nearly 3 times as long coach at Borussia )

But it also has to be said that in all 3 Bundesliga clubs he had to leave (or left by himself) at the end. And in France at Nice he also had some success.

So yes, overall, he is seen here as a good coach....if you don't expect trophies , though ;)

#179 Dirk, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  20. cpfc1905

cpfc1905 Pride of South London

Supports:
    Palace
    Favre would be the best possible manager we could get. I've been questioning why we haven't been linked to him ever since Roy left, and before tbh