1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Norwich v Liverpool

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Dion, Apr 26, 2012.

1. ritchie_50

ritchie_50 Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I couldn't understand Holt's exclusion yesterday. We had a centre back there in Carragher who can't even jump anymore let alone win a header. He generally did his job well at the back, but he can't defend against height or pace and Norwich didn't offer anything. Even James Vaughan off the bench got a free header in against Carragher that went just wide, so like the game at Anfield a cross into the box for Holt would have been Norwich's best bet at causing us problems.

You did play into our hands yesterday.

#21 ritchie_50, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2012
  2. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Lambert's very often set us up this season to counter the opposition's strengths, to the extent that we rarely play the same formation, let alone the same XI, for two games in a row. It quite often works but it didn't yesterday. I could see the logic in playing three CMs and it showed when we brought on Vaughan in the second half and got completely overrun.

But Morison's form has completely deserted him and he's now completely impotent as a lone striker. It wouldn't be fair to blame our defeat on him but we'd undoubtedly have caused you more problems had Holt been playing - see the goal he scored at Anfield as one example why.

I've loved the unpredictability of some of our starting line-ups this season and the way that numerous players have come in and performed well in different systems, but I think we need to accept that there are some players who should be in the team week in week out. Holt's definitely one of those at the moment.

3. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    I guess Lambert just wanted to give Morison another go on his own upfront, show some faith etc. People can say what they like about him but he was one of our better players in the 1st half of the season. It was also a nothing game for us and he already knows what Holt is all about so I'm beginning to understand the reasons. I still wouldn't have played him if it had been down to me.

When you look back on the game the Liverpool defence had hardly anything to do.

4. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Dunno if it's verified or not but read today that Steve Morison has the worst passing accuracy of any outfield player from Europe's top 5 divisions.

He's stopped scoring and doesn't contribute much else these days. If we were going to drop Holt I'd rather we put Vaughan up there. If Lambert was trying things out for next season then it's slightly worrying that he sees Morison as part of our plans as I really think we should cut him loose.

5. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Not as simple as just selling him though. He's under contract and we'd command what we paid I reckon, so around £2m. I don't think it's realistic to think we can find a club willing to pay that, would be surprised if you got your wish in him leaving permanently. The most likely outcome is a loan deal and that's assuming Lambert wants to and Morison is prepared to upsticks again on a temporary basis, all unlikely i'd say.

I'm fine with him being a squad player next season. The summer could be what he needs to recharge his batteries and start a fresh next season. It wasn't so long ago we were thinking what a good signing he was. To reach 8 goals by January in your 1st season as a top flight striker is excellent, can't argue with it.

#25 canary10, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2012
  6. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    I know Morison has scored 9 goals but he gas stopped scoring and adds nothing to the team. PUA says in this thread that Morison IS lazy, but ive been saying it for weeks. Rob Butler bangs on about how good Morison is on Canary Call and he does my head in.

Yesterday's performance was flat with a very weak defence, especially Ward. It was cold and wet and if anyone had offered me a lift home at half time, I would have taken it!!

Suarez ran rings round us. Lots of Liverpool fans but I imagine alot of them had a Norfolk accent, including the knob who ran on the pitch and gestured the Barckay End :laugh:

I'm just glad were mathematically safe now because we wouldn't pick points up if needed playing like that.