1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Norwich v Newcastle

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by canary10, Dec 8, 2011.

1. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Interesting one this, they will come here expecting to take the points after such an excellent start and if we don't deal with the threats of Ba and Jonas will be in for a tough afternoon.

The one thing that does give me some hope is the injuries they have at the back. I expect Coloccini might end up playing with Taylor definately out. If someone like Perch or Simpson has to fill in then I'd seriously fancy Morison against them.

I'd be tempted to go two upfront for this one and really try and get at them especially if Coloccini is indeed out aswell. Its time for Surman to be dropped, like C. Martin he deserved a crack but didn't add anything, Hoolahan in please. I'm guessing it will be the same two CBs but if Lambert fancies Ayala as 1st choice then maybe its time to give him a game... (would have been mental to do so last week)

I'm not so sure about this really, people will probably think Newcastle might struggle without 1st choice defenders but they've got lots of other inform players and aren't 6th in the table for no reason! 2-3, Perch, Jonas, Ba, Morison, Hoolahan.

2. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    I agree, Newcastle are not 6th in the league by chance. This is isn't going to be easy by any means, even though they lost 3-0 at home to Chelsea last weekend. We took a beating at the Eithad Stadium so need to get back on track. Im going for a draw, maybe 1-1.

3. avfc forever

avfc forever Registered User

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    I reckon a 2-2 draw for me.

4. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    For some reason I'm hopeful about this one. I feel we'll get a response from the City pasting and although I agree with the comments that Newcastle are where they are on merit, missing Tiote, Taylor and possibly Coloccini (although I'm sure he'll be involved if he's in any way fit) gives us half a chance.

I get the impression that Newcastle will fight fire with fire and use attack as their form of defence. Definitely feel there could be goals in this one, obviously our run without a clean sheet goes on but we've actually outscored Newcastle this season and I fancy us to get at least one.

We could well see another Lambert shake up after the City result, definitely need to see Wes back in the mix and I think time might be up on the Martin-Barnett CB partnership with Ayala and Whitbread returning to fitness. Could be one of those days where we have 5 or 6 changes.

Agree with the above post, should be an entertaining game and 2-2.

5. Sapper245

Sapper245 Registered User

Supports:
    Chelsea
    If you got a player who can keep BA quiet i think you stand a good chance of winning, i'm going for a Norwich 2-1 win

6. PUA

PUA Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    Delighted with the points, good performance. I had a good feeling about this one, despite the fact Newcastle have been doing well so far.

I thought we had a stonewall penalty in the first half we didn't get - blatent hand ball!
    Morison and Holt played really well - both have 6 goals now. I would much rather have them then some flop like Andy Carroll!

I was a bit concerned with the goals conceeded, I thought Ba had to be offside for the first one cos he was 10 yards ahead of our defence, but obviously no flag so I assume he was on. The 2nd goal was shocking, we really need to stop giving away goals like that.

19 points now so it's looking great so far.

7. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Registered User

Supports:
    Spurs, Norwich FC
    Excellent game and a good 3 points. Wasn't sure which way this one was going too go before the game but i thought we played some brilliant stuff at times. Very good overall team performance but sometimes giving the ball away a bit too much. Most notable for thier second goal. Some good finishes, and 3 headed goals.
    First one was actually a very good goal, well timed run good first touch and a good finish. As for the second one, i think it was whitbread, really not sure what he was doing but that was a very poor goal too give away considering we were 2 goals and a man up at that point.

8. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Yep, 19 points. I'd say that's at least half of what we'll need to stay up this year and we're only 15 games in.

Didn't think we were great in the first half today, matched Newcastle but didn't show much threat. We did brilliantly in the second half though, Holt's goal to put us 2-1 up was key - Obertan had a chance to put Ba in one-on-one just before that that he didn't take. We didn't look back from there and although Whitbread's f*ck up was really irritating at the time, we got another goal at a crucial time. That's the sort of game we'd have thrown away the lead in in 04/05 but this side doesn't seem to do that.

Morison and Holt weren't actually that busy but both took their headed goals brilliantly, Morison's was a beauty. Thought there was a good balance to our midfield, I've always liked our diamond under Lambert and wouldn't mind seeing it more often, interesting that it was the four that finished last season in there too. Still not sure about Surman really but I suppose he did his bit. Hoolahan excellent as usual and I thought Crofts and Fox played well. What I'd give to have a centre-half who doesn't give a goal away by fannying around with it though, Whitbread was decent bar that but that's the story of our defence this season.

Remarkable effort again and the fact that Newcastle have only lost to Chelsea and Man City this season shows what a good win this is. Ba's a tremendous centre-forward and I thought he was going to make the difference like van Persie did the other week but we continued to look to score and deserved all three points in the end. Onwards and upwards, really starting to believe we can stay up this year.

EDIT: Meant to add that Newcastle's first was definitely onside (brilliantly taken goal too), the handball was absolutely blatant and the corner for our first goal should never have been given. Watched it on a stream so had the benefit of replays.

9. canary10

canary10 Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Really entertaining game that- especially in the 2nd half, lots of talking points. I think we were worth the scoreline aswell, it was just a very good time to play Newcastle with that CB pairing. I mean James Perch?!

I do not think for one minute we would have scored 4 goals (3 headers) against Taylor & Collocini- I guess you can only beat what's against you though! It was a weird game in some ways because at 3-1 I wasn't particulary confident, more bollocks defending and it suddenly looked like 10 men Newcastle might have got something. I think without Ba we would have won very easily, he looks a real threat, Martin clearly struggled with him. It just goes to show its sometimes worth taking a gamble on a player from abroad, it can work.

It did take us a while to get going but I thought we controlled the game fairly well in the end, couple of times Obertan and co looked a bit threatening but the likes of Crofts and Fox did well. I think Lambert was right to drop Johnson & Pilkington who were probably a bit too comfortable, gives them a bit of a kick up the arse. I agree that we could be halfway there, 38 would give you a decent chance to survive, I think the key is going to be improving the away form cos bar Arsenal every single one of our home games have been winnable. Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City and Spurs all to come to CR!

Ratings....

Ruddy 7 Made a good save to deny Cabaye I think in the 1st half, not much of a chance with the goals.

Naughton 7 I think he's won his place back now, dealt with Jonas/Obertan well, good showing
    Martin 6 Felt he struggled with Ba really.
    Whitbread 6 He's better with the ball than Barnett but like Leon another silly old mistake.
    Tierney 6 Did alright, not exactly standout tho

Crofts 7 Impressed again, broke up play well and put in a great cross for one of the goals
    Surman 6 Pretty ordinary again, nice and tidy but I don't think he adds anymore than Johnson/Hoohalan.
    Hoolahan 7 Started slowly but soon got into the game and stamped his authority on it.
    Fox 7 Good peformance, was a bit quiet at times but uses the ball well.

Holt 7 I don't think his overall peformance was that good but you can't argue with 2 goals.
    Morison 7 Like Holt did his job with the important 3rd goal, got better as the game wore on.

#9 canary10, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2011
  10. PUA

PUA Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    I was also happy to see the diamond back, the team had a very nice balance to it and think a bit of squad rotation has to be good for competition for places.

The Whitbread error looked exactly like Martin's against Arsenal - robbed on half way and we lose a goal. I think it was good for him to get a run out. I think we should rotate center halfs when a mistake like that is made until we get one who doesn't make one! I now think it's Ayala's turn!

I didn't think Ba's goal was offside other than the fact he was so far from our backline. I think a combination of good movement and a rather poor attempt at an offside trap was the problem. I watched the game online but didn't see a replay.

Both his finishes had a touch of quality about it. 11 goals in 10 games says it all really - a top player.

He had half a season last year at West Ham.

I think staying away from frogein players is best for us at the moment. We are looking to stay in the division - last time when we got relegated foreign players like Johnson and Helveg were moved on and never really settled.

Lambert has said he wants British lads this season but will consider foreign players in the future.
    If we were to get relegated none of our players would have to leave and as most have played non-league football, I still think under Lambert they would give us everything in the Championship - but am confident we can stay up.

We do have a hell of a difficult run in, but I am sure 38points would be enough. If we can continue the way we have been we could have that before the run in!

#10 PUA, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2011
  11. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    True but not really comparable to our situation. Ba came to West Ham with an excellent reputation built up from Hoffenheim and cost no little money plus an extra packet in wages. Whilst teams like West Ham and Newcastle in their financial situations can afford to take those kind of gambles, we're not really in the same position.

Agree about Ayala but the fact we won today means that Lambert will probably stick with the same players and system at Everton. I think a commanding centre-half ought to be our priority in January now that Morison is showing himself to be an adept front man, hopefully Ayala will get a chance to show what he can do before then.

12. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Enjoyed the game and very pleased with the win. I think Norwich thought the first goal was offside, so they all stopped in their tracks. It wasn't offside and, of course, you have to play to the whistle. Yet again some slopping defending from Whitbread this time gifted Newcastle their second.

Heard the execuses from Pardew more than once and, maybe, we woudn't have won 4-2 if he had his first choice defenders in place, but thought we did deserve the 3 points on the day. Holt and Morison teamed up well and hopefully we can continue our form at Goodison Park on Saturday :)

13. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    I know it's not quite the same but we've had 3 centre-halves out for the last couple of months, and played a right-back there every game since September.

Plus, regardless of injuries, Newcastle's side beats ours man-to-man hands down.

14. PUA

PUA Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    But our manager beats (almost) every other team's manager hands down!