1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC help please

Discussion in 'Technology & Gaming' started by Canary Fairy, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    I’m due to return to the office on 20th July after working from home since March.

I will have to take my computer back to the office, but have enjoyed the flexibility of working at home. I can’t work from home all the time as my job is very office based (before COVID-19 arrived) and have to see clients so being at home isn’t an option for the most part. I would however like to have a computer at home, should I wish to make up time rather than use holiday if it’s a couple of hours or so or catch up evenings if it’s busy. Apparently I can’t have a firm’s computer at home and the office.

So, if I bought a monitor, keyboard and a mouse, would I just have to bring the hard drive box thing home ? I’ve an app on my phone that connects me to remote working. They’re small so easy to transport. I don’t like laptops.

Sorry if it’s a thick question, but I’d like to be armed when I make the suggestion..!

Thank you :)

2. Si Robin

Si Robin Cheltenham Spa - Ra ra ra

Supports:
    Cheltenham
    I'm not too technically sound, but to work from home one would assume that you've had to log on to your work's system via a citrix based client.

If that's the case, then you should be able to access your office from any computer. You then won't need any form of hard drive from work. For example, I can log onto my work system using my own home laptop via a weblink.

3. Canary Fairy

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Thank you for replying :)

I’ll see what they say. Quite happy to buy a monitor etc if they’re being tight about it.

4. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    I don't know how your company is set up, but if you're logging into their network remotely, you shouldn't have to take the hard drive home with you. Does your office use One Drive or something similar to store files?

Anyway, if you have your own computer at home and you can remotely access their system, then there shouldn't be much of an issue with it, providing you follow your company's IT policy with regards to security and data.

5. Habbinalan

Habbinalan Registered User

Supports:
    Cambridge United, with nostalgic connections to Barrow AFC
    I went through similar thought processes many years ago - unhappy with the laptop, I wanted a proper (ergonomically sound) key board and decent monitor. I didn't want/need to connect with an office system but carried what files/data I needed on floppy discs - remember them?

It was and still is relatively easy (also very cheaply second hand and pretty cheap new) to get a decent keyboard and monitor to connect to a laptop as your processor/hard drive rather than having an inflexible big box. Portable hard drives are dirt cheap. However, I soon got used to a laptop keyboard and screen and they are much better now. So the monitor and keyboard became redundant and I was glad to get the space back. Don't assume that all laptops are the same for ease of use/screen quality.

I would assume that your work, being old fashioned lawyers, will be concerned about two things other than cost - security and confidentaility. Client information, even the basics of addresses, etc., on a non-work laptop would require protocols. Connecting a non-work computer or memory stick or portable hard drive to the works system risks viruses and malware unless there are routine precautions.

Whoever looks after the office system for your bosses probably needs to get involved. I don't think that there are safe shortcuts for just doing a few letters and file updates from home without proper routines and protocols.

Good luck with finding an ally to drag your employers into the late 20th century. Who supplies their quills and ink? Jarrolds?

6. Canary Fairy

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Ive been following the firm’s IT policy for remote working since 24th March, but it suited them ! It seems different when I want it. The woman in charge of IT is a control freak, and that’s putting it mildly :laugh:

I just assumed all the information is on the tower thing, although it’s the size of PlayStation console.

I like a proper keyboard and have the room but I get a laptop is space saving and much easier to transport if need be. Confidentiality is paramount but it’s worked for them over the past 14 weeks or so :laugh: like said above , though, the woman in charge of IT is a controlling so and so !!

I do indeed remember floppy disks :laugh:

I didn’t think of viruses and the like. The mention of going back to the office only happened yesterday

Impressed you know of Jarrolds :)

7. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    So when you took the computer home, I assume you logged into your work's intranet?

8. Canary Fairy

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Yes I did.

9. Minty

Minty Carpe Diem

Supports:
    Celtic
    Well I don't know what security measures your IT department has in place, but in theory you should be able to remotely log in using your own PC, and access your work from home.

10. Canary Fairy

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Cheers Minty, I’ll look into it :)