1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Revenge is sweet" moments of your team?

Discussion in 'Qatar 2022' started by Dirk, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Dirk

Dirk Achtung!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    Do you have these "Revenge is sweet" moments of your team when you finally beat a country that has beaten you before at a World Cup?

I have some of these moments, naturally. With Germany being in 20 of the 22 World Cups and watching all World Cups since 1970 (7 1/2 years old) until today (59....still, for 2 weeks ;) ).

My top 3 of the moments are of course those when we beat countries that beat us before in the World Cup Finals.
    Germany has so far reached 8 World Cup Finals, won 4 and lost 4.

So, why only a top 3? Because we couldn't still manage to beat the bloody Italians in a World Cup. ;)
    Even worse after losing in 1982 they beat us again, in a semi-final 2006 at our home World Cup.
    We could so far only manage to beat them in a Euro Quarter final 2016, but only after penalty shootout (and this will be officially count as a draw :D ). So this revenge is still open, actually they avoid us simply by not qualifying :D

Anyway, here are my top3 "Revenge is sweet" moments for Germany:

1. Germany vs England 3-2 a.e.t, quarter-final at the World Cup 1970 in Mexico

Still my favourite. My first World Cup that I was able to watch on TV (1966 was too early for me). Cherished moments watching with my father and my older brother. We had a great team with several of all time Germany legends, the same for England with the nucleus of the World Cup team still in it.
    Goalie Gordon Banks was out for England, I read later that he had "Montezumas Revenge"....that was shit for England, literally :D

We were already 0-2 behind after 60 minutes, then suddenly Franz Beckenbauer started a run and made the 1-2. Minutes later our Captain Uwe Seeler with his legendary backheader goal against Peter Bonetti. And in extra time the inimitable Gerd Müller with the 3-2.

My absolute favourite match because both of my childhood heroes, Seeler and Müller, made a goal and decided this revenge for the World Cup final loss in 1966. We only had to wait for 1 World Cup for the revenge. We met again in the semi-final 1990 (won in penalty shootout) and 2010 ( round of last 16, won 4-1)

2. Brazil vs Germany 1-7 , semi-final of the World Cup 2014 in Brazil

The Brazilians have beaten us (deservedly) 2-0 in the 2002 World Cup, so 12 years later we finally met again at a World Cup, now "only" a semi-final, but in Brazil.
    Neymar was out because the Colombians fouled him out in the match before. But I'm sure even with him we would've beaten this Brazilians.
    Anyway, 7 goals against the Host, a Host who is the record holder of this tournament, is still unbelievable. And so this one is rightly my #2.

Germany won its 4th title later in a dull final (like in 1990, see below) against the Argies. But I think with this beauty of a match against Brazil we were a worthy champion and became the first European team to win the World Cup in South America (only Brazil did similar, being the first and still only South American team to win the World Cup in Europe)

3. Germany vs Argentina 1-0, World Cup Final at the World Cup 1990

After 1982, 1986 this was our 3rd consecutive World Cup final.
    In '82 we lost against Italy and in '86 against Argentina. So we got our revenge this time at the ultimate stage, the World Cup Final. As mentioned before, this wasn't a classic (like in 2014), but I don't give a damn. A final is there to be won and not to "die in beauty" (or so).
    We got our revenge against Argentina (although through a very questionable penalty), that's all that counts. And to see the great Diego Maradona with tears in his eyes after the final is worth it alone ;) (don't get me wrong, I always respected Maradonas playing abilities although he often acted as a primadonna (like CR7 nowadays). R.I.P Diego, way too soon)

I hope I can finally make this a top4 with a win against Italy (maybe in 2026). Fingers crossed @Cassio that you qualify this time :D)

So what are your "Revenge is sweet" Moments of your team in the World Cup. Hope you have some but please only those where you were already born and have watched ;)

Phew, that was a lot of foreign words for me. Time for coffee :D

StretfordEnd and Garrincha like this.
  2. Guyett

Guyett Posts gifs

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Beating Italy 1-0 in 1994 after they beat us in the quarter finals of 1990.

Dirk likes this.
  3. Dirk

Dirk Achtung!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    So, the Irish could manage what we still couldn't do yet. Beating the Italians at a World Cup. :duke

Cassio likes this.
  4. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    For England, the only one I can recall off the top of my head was Argentina in 2002.

NotsoPosh likes this.
  5. Redpelt

Redpelt Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    1982 Quarters. Italy beating Brazil 3-1 and a hattrick from Paolo. We couldn't stop my mum dancing ,she spun me around our back kitchen till I was dizzy.

Great memories and of course we went on to lift it ,I wore that Italy top until it was f*cking transparent

:laugh:

6. NotsoPosh

NotsoPosh Registered Useless : Trevor Kettle Style .

Supports:
    P. U. F. C.
    1) Germany 1 v 5 England ( the magic at Munich )

I was in the womb when we won in 66 but have a grudging administration for numerous German teams who don't really possess flair but have competition nous by the boat load & know how to win tournaments via their will & attitude so to go to their own yard in 2001 & smash em was fantastic & we probably won't do that again in my lifetime .

2) England 1 v 0 Argentina ( Becks revenge )

Was subbing building a by pass & the boss the day before was pissed off so didn't think he'd let us watch this but he turned up around 15-20 mins before kick off which if I remember was 7.30 or 8am & said " off you go , don't take the piss straight back when it's over & don't come back steaming " .

So the Argies got Becks sent off in 98 with Slimeball Simeone & I think it was the winking Batistuta so when Becks who returned to England to effigies of himself with a noose around his neck in 98 when he slammed that penalty right down the middle you could feel his own personal revenge coming out in his celebrations .

3) England 2 v 0 Scotland ( sit down , shut up )

I'd been working with a firm from Corby building industrial greenouses in South Linc's & most of the lads were Scots or Irish Scots whose parents had moved to Corby ( Little Scotland ) in the 70's & we worked out arses off doing 14,16-18 hour shifts so as to finish the contract as early as we could & I got dogs load of abuse throughout that contract which we finished prior to the tournament so it would have been nice to have rubbed Gazza's overhead flick & volley back in their faces but hey ho .

Foxwell likes this.
  7. Jockney

Jockney Registered User

Supports:
    Millwall
    Not many revenge matches for me really. Would be great to beat a Portugal Ronaldo side after 04 and 06 but we’ve otherwise usually been deservedly beaten at tournaments and as such I haven’t really been too bitter.

8. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    We could have one of the biggest revenge is sweet stories going on Friday when Ghana play Uruguay. Everyone knows what happened in 2010...

Garrincha likes this.
  9. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wales

Was 3-2 fella.

Was heartbroken as so wanted Brazil to win. Remember Socrates saying over 20 years later that he had never watched that game back as it hurt too much.

10. njmcfc1894

njmcfc1894 Registered User

Supports:
    manchester city
    Yep Suarez did his job, they had chance with a penalty, **** em.

11. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    '**** em'

12. Redpelt

Redpelt Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I never give the Brazilians to much credit mate ,tbf as soon as I posted it I realized but couldnt be @rsed going back and editing it ;)

13. Philip The Frog

Philip The Frog Registered User

Supports:
    Groundhopping
    Have very little passion for the French NT. The fact that we won the WC when I was 12 meant that they didn't need my support. My mates feel very strongly about the 2006 final defeat to Italy and I suppose us beating them in the qualifiers 2 months later was some type of revenge but really, it's been plain sailing since 2014. This time we may win it and be the first nation to retain the trophy since Brazil in the early 60s but the last trophy was so recent that it really won't matter if we win it or not (unless we lose in the final to Spain, would be well annoyed if that happened).

England winning a penalty shoot-out was a feeling I never experienced though. What a relief after so many false dawns in 98, 04 & 06!