1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Swans v Canaries

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Canary Fairy, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    This is actually getting a bit mental now; sitting in 8th, all but safe from relegation with 13 games left and 8 points off a Champions League spot.

Another ridiculously assured performance against a side on a great run. I really thought we'd get beaten today and wasn't hopeful after we went in at half-time behind but what a second half performance and what a turnaround. Not only did we win, we did so deservedly and relatively comfortably, despite Graham's miss at the end. That has to be right up there with our best displays of the season, given the fact that so few teams have taken anything at the Liberty Stadium this season.

Jackson and Holt were both excellent up front once again. Jackson's absolutely transformed himself from a year ago, some of his hold-up play for a man of his size is superb. I'm being forced to eat my words with Surman as well - thought that was his best game this season and no coincidence that it came with him playing centrally rather than as a winger. Ward stepped in and did very well and Bennett was brilliant too, he looks so much more confident now and did very well to set up goals 2 and 3.

I keep waiting for us to hit the buffers but it doesn't happen, it's just amazing how Lambert's able to get the players so consistently motivated for these sorts of games. Play like that against United in two weeks and I don't see why we can't give them a good game (Rooney was even being complimentary about us on Twitter apparently!). Take our first four games where we were still adjusting to the rigours of this division and we've taken 33 points from 19 games, that's not far from two points a game.

If we continue like we are then the Manager of the Year award is a one-horse race.

2. PUA

PUA Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    Over the last 6 games we are top of the form guide - 13 points, only Man Utd have got as many.
    Rooney said on twitter it's amazing what has happen to Norwich under PL in the last 3 years.

What's really funny is if we were near the bottom we would be dreading the fixtures come up. Being where we are and having the teams above us left to play (except Chelsea), if we were to get results in all of them we might qualify for the CL :laugh:. I think it's unlikely but it's incredible to even be able to say that. A trip to Wembley in the cup is quite possible. I want to see our strongest team against Leicester - we will have a week to recover.

3. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Wow, never thought we would get a win at Swansea. Only listened to it on the radio and watched MOTD this morning. It was nail biting stuff listening to the radio when it was 2-3 with 5 minutes stoppage time. Like said above, sitting in 8th in the Premier League and all but safe from relegation, indeed truly mental :laugh:

Leicester at home on Saturday in the 5th round of the FA Cup then Man Utd at home the week after. Bring it on :thumb

#23 Canary Fairy, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
  4. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    :laugh: Loving the talk of European qualification (presumably tongue-in-cheek) but let's be realistic, a cup run and a top half finish would be an absolutely brilliant end to the season, particularly given the tough run of games we have at the end.

Also, no-one's mentioned Rangel's disgraceful behaviour in trying to get Holt sent off for an elbow in the first half, when Holt basically brushed him in the face with his palm. It didn't make it onto MOTD and he wasn't successful in his attempt, but if Johnson was hung out to dry for the Barton incident, then surely Rangel deserves similar treatment.

5. mitchwales

mitchwales Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    No complaints on the result but TRAVESTY?? that is a pile of rubbish! We came very close on quite a few occasions too!

Disappointed with McEachren who needs to be replaced for the next game, sorely missed Joe Allen, Kemy Augustien or Mark Gower instead of him.

6. PUA

PUA Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    Swansea had 1 SOT on target first half. It was your first attack and you scored from it. Before you got the penalty you never looked like you would get anything from the game.

After we went 3-1 up Vorm has made a world class save from Naughton - that could have been 4-1, then another great save from Hoolahan but he should have scored - 8 yards out 1 yard either side and nobody would have saved it that could have been 5-1 and Surman in the first half also had a header saved from point blank range. However we were a bit lucky with the second but those chances topped anything Swansea created.

Before the penalty, other than your goal you hit the outside of the post but don't think it would have beaten Ruddy had it been on target - that was it. Ruddy has not had a save to make. Inevitably at 3-2 at the away team conceding a late goal you know it's going to be difficult to hang on. Ruddy has made a couple of good stops - but saves you would expect him to make.

Vorms were truly top drawer, based on those he is probably in the top 3 in the league. I think Ruddy was great for 100k and is comfortably in the top 10.

Even though we barely touched the ball in the last 10 minutes we still had more possession than Swansea. We also had 9 SOT compared to Swansea's 4 - it shows we were in control. I don't know if you watched the full game or not, but based on the full game I don't think it was a 3-2 game.

Yes the injuries may have made a difference but we have more than out fair share. We have hardly ever been able to play the same back 4 all season - Martin is not a centre half and Tierney was out as was Ayala, Whitbread, Howson and Vaughan.

#26 PUA, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2012