1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

The Health & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Discussion' started by Sgt. Serious, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Fo Shizzle

Fo Shizzle Rising...

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Got a few questions for those that know what they're doing at the gym.

I'm a fat bastard basically. Over 16st, 5'11" and 34 years old. I can't run due to an ankle injury 2 years ago that still causes me lots of pain, but I can go on the rower, bike, cross trainer etc

Anyway now the gym is open again I went yesterday and just sort of aimlessly wandered around not really getting the most from it. So anyway my questions are...

1. I plan to do 30/40 mins on the cross trainer and then 30 mins of weights. My goal is to lose weight not look like Arnie so should I either take time off the weights and add it to the cardio or just not do weights at all?

2. If I do weights, should I focus on one thing each session? I.e arms one day, chest another etc or just do a bit on everything?

3. As I am a fatty, with a belly and man boobs and all that, I'm scared of doing anything chest or stomach related as I don't want to solidify fat there. Is this a myth or should I genuinely avoid it?

Cheers

2. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Do you enjoy cardio or weights more?
    Do what you like most.
    The more muscle you have the more calories you will burn whilst doing nothing. Weight lifting is still a fantastic way to lose weight if you don't like cardio.
    Work out your maintenance calories and subtract 200. Eat to roughly that amount and you should lose 2lbs a week.

#6562 Richard, Apr 15, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Fo Shizzle likes this.
  3. Machida

Machida Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool.
    Any tips on a beginner arm/shoulder and back routine? Starting with a baseline of virtually no muscle and have standard home gym equipment like a bench and weights. . .:laugh:

4. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    What about the rest of your body??!?

5. Machida

Machida Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool.
    That too but I figure arms is a good place to start, to get into a routine, etc.. . .:hiding

6. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Best place to start is compound excersises imo.
    Google them for a list but its basically all your big lifts.
    Deadlifts, Squats, bench press etc.

Machida likes this.
  7. Foxwell

Foxwell A little bit of the bubbly

Supports:
    Manchester United FC
    1. If you only have 30 minutes in a day, for 99/100 people it should be cardio, for weight loss and heart health. Weights are great, hit those too, as Rich mentioned above having more lean muscle overall will burn more calories. You won't be looking like Arnie even if you do his workouts.

2. If you're just starting out, or coming back from a long lay-off, stick with full body or compound workouts where you're hitting multiple muscles at a time. Squats, deadlifts, bench press, shoulder press, dips, rows. Play around for a week to see what you can do so you can work out a routine, or better yet, ask the resident employed gym monkey to work you out a starter plan. They won't judge. Work on the basics too; push ups and pull ups are great, and there are good online guides out there if you can't do a proper one yet.

3. It's a myth. You can't solidify fat and you can't turn fat into muscle. Fat comes on or off, and muscle comes on or off.

4. All of the above is great, but don't forget your nutrition. 30 minutes of cardio won't do you much good if your daily tea is a full English.

8. King Eric

King Eric Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    I’m new to the forum - and browsing the threads.

I’m a qualified PT and Nutrition Coach - so happy to offer any advice and bust any myths.

I haven’t read through all 329 pages, and I’m sure there are others equally (or more) qualified but always happy to help.

#6568 King Eric, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Philip The Frog, Foxwell and Machida like this.
  9. Machida

Machida Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool.
    Been sticking with these compound exercises for the last month now. Feeling good and already noticing gains, albeit moderate ones. Seeing even the smallest transformation is the best motivation to keep going imo. Thanks for the tips! Feel like I'm on the road to getting the body/strength I've always wanted.

Recovery takes a little longer than I'd like though sometimes. Is there any particular supplements or dietary changes I could take/make to aid with that?

Foxwell likes this.
  10. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Protein for recovery. But try eat it not drink it.
    Also i find that if i sip BCAAs during a workout i tended to have less severe doms.

Machida likes this.
  11. Foxwell

Supports:
    Manchester United FC
    Congrats on the great start :thumb Slow and steady is the way to go, keep it up.

I struggle with recovery too. After a run the legs feel heavier for an extra day now I'm in my 30s than they did before and the DOMS lingers longer. I don't do supplements, I either do a different workout to avoid the sore bits or I do something low impact like a walk or indoor bike. My go-to meal after a workout is chicken, eggs and mixed veg to the tune of around 400-500 cals (for me) but I'm old school in my approach.

I reckon @King Eric might have some insight on the nutrition for recovery...?

Machida likes this.
  12. Machida

Machida Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool.
    BCAAS noted. Noob question but you mix this with the protein shake or as a separate drink?

Been taking protein too but mixed with water roughly 30mins before working out.

13. Richard

Richard Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Just a scoop with water.

14. King Eric

King Eric Registered User

Supports:
    Manchester United
    The biggest recovery tip I would offer is make sure you warm up and cool down properly - dynamic stretches are important especially after big compound movements.

BCAAs which have already been mentioned are good, but providing you are eating a balanced diet there’s no need for any particular nutritional recovery meal, although protein shakes are a quick hit if you feel you need a little more in your diet, for muscle repair.

Caffeine is a good option post workout as it promotes glycogen storage, which is important as you would have undoubtedly used most of it up.

Foxwell and Machida like this.
  15. Philip The Frog

Philip The Frog Registered User

Supports:
    Groundhopping
    I used to live quite close to Paris but wanted to buy a flat that wasn't too expensive so went back south-west and have been enjoying quite a bit of cycling since then (60 kms every Sunday at least) and I have a friend who can't really run for a long time but has no trouble on the bike so maybe the posters who can't run can try to take on cycling.

Just a thought.

StretfordEnd and Foxwell like this.
  16. Foxwell

Supports:
    Manchester United FC
    I love biking in the woods, but absolutely hate it on road.

17. Philip The Frog

Philip The Frog Registered User

Supports:
    Groundhopping
    Don't like the cars breathing down your neck?

18. Foxwell

Supports:
    Manchester United FC
    That's right. Also the noise, and the uninteresting terrain. I was always a trail/mountain biker rather than a road biker.

19. Fo Shizzle

Fo Shizzle Rising...

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Struggling with a few things at the moment. This could go in either this thread or the depression one as it's linked.

I'm 34, and officially obese if you see my BMI. 5'11" and 16st 11. I have a little girl on the way next month and it's jolted me into thinking about this. I'm worried that I'm too fat to run around with her, I've suffered from injuries over the years but these are probably linked to my weight as well.

I basically don't look after myself at all, the way I eat and drink is like I'm on a mission to kill myself before I get to 50. I look at myself and I'm ashamed and embarrassed. But then I haven't got the motivation to change, it's like I've given up and think I'm too far gone to salvage so what's the point I might as well eat another maccies or chocolate bar etc.

I don't know what I wanted to gain from posting this to be honest. Just wanted to get it off my chest I suppose.

King Eric likes this.
  20. Sandsy

Sandsy Formerly known as manojob

Supports:
    Hyde United, Manchester City, Swatcats
    Nothing wrong with getting it off your chest. There was a poster here who hasn't posted for a while. I think his username is (or was) RichLeJohn. I am probably wrong as I can find him to tag. Last time I saw him post it was about a fantastic transformation he did in losing weight. If he sees this perhaps he could offer advice. I am sure there are others too.

In regards to injuries and running, try walking instead at first. Less chance of hurting yourself and putting yourself on the sofa for weeks/months.

I am sure you already know this but what you eat is the most important. I find this to be my achilles heel. I am too tempted by unhealthy food and don't have the motivation to cook healthy every day. To combat the latter, I have started cooking in bulk and freezing it. That way I only do it once a week. If you think you are interested in giving it a try I can share a website with lots of meal prep ideas.

Good luck with whatever you decide. You have a couple of years before your daughter will be running, so you have the time to get there.

Fo Shizzle and King Eric like this.