1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

The next Spurs manager

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by A Gooner, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Gal_P

Gal_P The Special One

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Rangnick might not be a bad shout. We wanted him as interim manager to replace Frank but he was only interested in the full-time role.

Currently without a club too.

2. Jason

Jason Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Can't see us appointing someone that old (62) with no experience managing over here.

3. julian

julian Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Why is that?

4. BeeLz

BeeLz Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    Seeing us linked with Martinez too. Wouldn't be against it tbh, I know he hasn't really exceeded expectations with Belgium but he's done a good job while playing very attractive football. He won't fix our defensive issues though.

5. Gal_P

Gal_P The Special One

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Always felt like he’s a bit like Southgate for us in the sense he’s a really average manager (who seems like a nice guy) and doesn’t get the most from the talent in the squad available.

I’d be really pleased if Spurs went for him.

6. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    He took a similar sort of club into two mid-table finishes after a honeymoon first season, where he was riding the crest of a wave of inheriting a super organised David Moyes side.

Unless he's learned alot and adapted in his time as Belguim boss I think it would be an even worse shout than even Eddie Howe or Scott Parker

7. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Options for a manager seem very poor, lack of any forward planning evident from the club, financial issues at the club and the strong likelihood that top players are going to be looking to move on.

8. CPFC2010

CPFC2010 Registered User

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Have things gotten that bad at Spurs that you wouldn’t mind him as manager?

I’d rather keep Hodgson for another year than have him at Palace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. BeeLz

BeeLz Registered User

Supports:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    I don't really know about that though. His record for Belgium is very good, 4 games lost in 54. While we obviously play against shit teams most of the times like most goed european teams Belgium usually wins a lot more comfortable even with a much less talented B side than countries like Spain, England, France, Germany do.

I also think his career in England was better than most people give him credit for. He did great at Swansea, Wigan and his Everton side was at least the most exciting Everton team I've seen in the last 20 years.

I at least rate him a lot higher than Southgate as his usually gets his attacking players to thrive unlike Southgate who plays for 1-0 with set pieces with arguably the best attacking options in the world.

10. Jason

Jason Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    I think the style is the most important thing about the next manager.

I do think Spurs / ENIC are going to find themselves in a difficult position between expectation and reality. I'm not sure the two will marry up whilst Spurs fans continue to pay the highest ticket prices in the country.

Ultimately I think the expectation is going to be higher on any manager than is actually realistic with the resources we have. So we're in a position where the manager can only fail really. With that in mind I'm not really too bothered who it is, if they at least bring some good football - as Martinez would, then it'll be worthwhile until he's inevitably booted out.

I said the same before Mourinho's appointment (despite being happy enough with it) but the curveball was a positive transfer window last year which actually improved the squad. I think Mourinho was doomed on day one but he got more backing than anticipated so combined with the shit football and poor cup results (and league to an extent) he was never going to survive.

I'm not sure the next manager gets the luxury of compromising on the "Tottenham way", nor will he probably get the same backing Mourinho did.

I don't think Mason should be in a position where he gets the job permanently but there's nobody available that particularly gets me excited either. I think we probably peaked already. Shame we have no trophy to show for it.

BeeLz likes this.
  11. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Pfizer'd twice!
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    They've been unfortunate. Mourinho had to go, and since then the managerial merry-go-round has eaten up a couple of possible candidates, leaving the field looking somewhat bare.

12. Dan

Dan Registered User

Supports:
    Chelsea FC
    That’s their own fault though, Mourinho should have been sacked a long time ago.

13. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Pfizer'd twice!
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Well yes, in fact he shouldn't have been employed in the first place, but we 'are where we are'.

gate17, Dan and MrLeeLemon like this.
  14. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Personally think sacking a manager without any idea of who will replace them is bad news. Maybe you luck out with an interim appointment but picking Ryan Mason (with an actual option with managerial experience as his assistant) is a surefire sign they haven't got a clue.

Problem is you struggle to see them sticking by the next pick since they will undoubtedly not be their first choice.

15. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Well with Sarri not going to Roma I think Spurs could do alot lot worse. I think he would be a sensible steady appointment to get them back challenging for top 4.

The work he did at Chelsea was really underappreciated and was hounded out at Juventus despite winning the league, look at them now!

MrLeeLemon likes this.
  16. Jason

Jason Spurs optimist

Supports:
    Tottenham
    Spursy that the man we've sacked has found a job quicker than we've found a replacement.

gate17 likes this.
  17. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    He's the best realistic option out there right now. Some reason he is far from favourite for it currently, behind managers who have literally taken new jobs (Flick) on or signed new contracts (Ajax manager).

18. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Is Fonseca an option?

19. GrantCFC

GrantCFC Born is the King

Supports:
    Chelsea
    By whom exactly? Think all of us on here have said Sarri did a great job.

gate17 likes this.
  20. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester City
    Well Sarri is not going to Roma, maybe he's another option