1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Non-Top-Six Transfer Rumour Thread

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Burg, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    You make it sound like all of the headlines we are receiving are positive

2. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    I hope not at our expense but I hope you and Parker especially prove alot of people wrong, it's sad to see him as abit of a joke figure by uneducated fans.

Garrincha and RednBlacklife like this.
  3. Deano

Deano -=-=-=-=-=-=-

Supports:
    Wolves
    Can't wait to hear who the "whole lot of dross" is

4. RednBlacklife

RednBlacklife Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    Oh they'll be positive for ages, don't worry. We stayed up for 5 seasons - and we did OK for 3 seasons before the establishment got fed up with us.

...And you have a decent away capacity, which helps...:D

5. Muller

Muller I like using gifs

Supports:
    Merseyside Red

Intrigued to see how this fella develops.

Dirk and Jonny Ninja like this.
  6. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    We are getting nothing but shit from most media outlets, pundits and fans alike. Its gone from "its great to see Forest back in the PL" to "shit, they've signed Lingard, let's hate them and hope they go down". I'd say the establishment are done with us already

Makes me laugh now when I think back to the build up to our game last season where lots of PL fans were favouring Forest because "Bournemouth are a yo-yo club" but those same fans now hate us because we are trying not to be a yo-yo club

7. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
  8. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Moonshine drunken monk, get your head shrunk

Supports:
    West Ham United
    I think it’s a good signing, but will be interesting to see if he is straight in the team. He’s still very inexperienced in a top league but he speaks really well for a young dude and is very self assured. I’m quite gutted we didn’t sign him. With us he probably didn’t need to make an immediate impact, but Everton need him to hit the ground running

Dirk likes this.
  9. A Gooner

A Gooner Registered User

Supports:
    Arsenal
    Before I embark on this ramble, this is just a semi-blind look on the whole thing.

I think the masses don't like 'buying success/money spending'. It's why there is such a disdain towards the clubs at the higher end of the table and I suspect some of the romanticism that people wanted to be a part of the Nottingham Forest story this season gets withered away by the mass spending. The more money a club spends, the bigger a villain they become.

Personally, I don't care. Clubs have strategies. I suspect there's a few relegation release clauses to protect the club. The issue Forest will have this year is getting it all to gel. Luckily for clubs battling relegation, you have a good relative amount of time to get it all to gel. 12 new signings (possibly more) with a load of players leaving is a difficult amount of turnover to deal with. I don't begrudge Cooper's job this year.

10. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    I think it's a bit of a dramatic response to criticism, sure I think one person on here said they hope you go down, but I don't exactly see any hatred here. There's just criticism of the amount of money that you're prepared to pay for Gibbs-White, and there's going to be plenty of criticism of other clubs transfers on here as everyone's going to have an opinion at this level. Similarly, there's been plenty of praise on here for some of your other signings you've made this summer.

I don't think the criticism on here was any greater than what Forest fans on here were giving Everton, when they thought they were getting Gibbs-White for £30 million.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  11. Burg

Burg The Fulham

Supports:
    Fulham
    Jesus people get well touchy about some vague criticism towards their club don’t they? :laugh:

People were fine with Forest spending initially because they needed to. That’s fine.

£40million on MGW would attract criticism from anyone and everyone. Either you decide to care or you can literally not give a f*ck. But if I was following a team back in the top flight for the first time this millienia, I would enjoy the ride than give a flying toss about what someone like Jamie O’Hara has to say.

12. Dirk

Dirk Achtung!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    Oh shit, a former HSV player at Everton ;)

I liked him very much during his short stay with us, it was clear that he wouldn't last long because he had too much talent for 2nd tier football.

Best thing is that HSV will get approx 20% from the transfer fee that's above the money we got last year from Lille for him.

Muller likes this.
  13. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    This is the criticism that Forest fans were giving when they thought Gibbs-White was going to Everton for £30 million. Now that he's going to them for £40 million, they don't like it when the boot is on the other foot and now any sort of criticism is being taken as hatred.

Leivapool and Donnyrovers90 like this.
  14. RedDogChris

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    This forum has always been abit of a pile on regarding us tbh, I don't know why it is maybe it's due to our numbers or something.

And no I'm not happy we are being held to ransom about MGW and wouldn't be happy if we paid it but like Tom says it's beyond our control

#3674 RedDogChris, Aug 9, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  15. Cotterill:49

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    So you don't think another side on here would be equally criticised for trying to sign Morgan Gibbs-White for £40 million?

It's not that you think it's a good deal, but it's that you were the first to try and pile on Everton to criticise them for their transfer policy and overspending when they looked to be getting him for £30 million. If this was another club in for him at that fee, you'd be the first one criticising them.

16. RedDogChris

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Everton have been big culprits for overspending over the years which is why it was easy for me to mock them. We haven't done that since Dane Murphy and Steve Cooper have been here, but it would be the case for sure if we shelled out anywhere near the 40 million mark even with add on's etc. The only reason I can think we would be doing this would be for Marinakis to show Cooper how much he is backing him by delivering his number one target I would disagree with him spending that much but it's his money and I'm a meagre fan.

17. Daz_Blade

Daz_Blade Registered User

Supports:
    Sheffield United, Real Betis
    Good job you never had a dig at the meagre fans of parachute clubs or Derby fans for the spending they had no control over, eh? ;)

18. RedDogChris

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    The difference is we won't be lapping it up in fact most of will be thinking WTF so we're no hypocrites ;)

19. MagpieBee

MagpieBee Registered User

Supports:
    Brentford
    Jesus Christ you give a club a compliment saying you have excellent players and two of you jump on the small “dross” comment.

For a start, you say yourself there squad depth is an issue, so you’re already admitting there’s a decent chunk of your squad that’s dross.

It’s pretty obvious you know **** all about my team if you think your whole squad walks into our first XI. How about you just take a ****ing chill pill. ****s sake.

20. Tomohawk

Tomohawk Moderator
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Nottm Forest
    A very reasoned response!

I never said there was hatred on here!

And I'd argue that the Forest fans on here have criticised Forest as much as they have Everton for such valuations of a player with one good Championship season behind him. I've always said £20m was a stretch for him and the current valuations are utterly ridiculous - we should have moved away from MGW as an option a long time ago. And having witness the performance at Newcastle, I'm actually now struggling to see what he would bring to us that would have improved that performance any.

Garrincha and RedDogChris like this.