1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

The Norwich City Transfer Tittle-Tattle Thread

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Dion, May 29, 2012.

1. PUA

PUA Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    I can't see that happening. Phelan has a lot of experience in the game but as a manager it is a bit of a risk because he will need time and we could be in a dog-fight if it goes badly. Brain Kidd worked under Ferguson for several years but struggled at management.

WBA appointed Clarke at the start of last season - plenty of time to change him if things were going badly.

I always feel there is just something missing, just need 10% to make us a good side. It's hard to identify it. Against Newcastle is was dreadful defending, against other teams it has been pressing.

But you look at Fer, Howson, Snodgrass, Pilkington - these are good players, and the back 5 is decent too. Hooper and RVW can score goals so it's hard to say exactly what the problem is.

So that side of me likes Hughton and has done very well in terms of signings - I am happy with all of them, but at the same time it's the results.

I feel less bad about Man City after they also raped Spurs - 6-0

2. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    100% agree with this. What impact are Hoolahan and Murphy going to have on a game with 2 minutes to go? It's particularly bizarre when you consider we didn't look like scoring. Hughton's built a squad of attacking players, many of whom he doesn't trust. Hoolahan could be a bit of a weapon from the bench but he barely gets more than 10 minutes, same with Murphy and Becchio must be scratching his head wondering what the hell he's doing here. But now Bennett, Pilkington, Snodgrass and Ricky might all be injured for the Palace game, what does that leave us with? Redmond, Hooper and Elmander - not enough to break teams down on their own really.

PUA made the point in the other thread that it's a tad embarrassing that the likes of Fer, van Wolfswinkel and Hooper came here probably expecting us to be a burgeoning Premier League force and instead we're scrapping to stay out of the relegation zone. I'm rapidly losing faith in Hughton and the guy deserves no more than 1 game to get a win under his belt.

Mike Phelan would be even worse though so I hope we don't touch him with a bargepole.

3. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    Latest injury news from my source at the EDP..

Pilkington out 5-6 weeks

Snodgrass out 'for a few weeks"

RVW probably not back until the Swansea game

4. NcfcDin

NcfcDin Hold The Door

Supports:
    Norwich City
    :slap:

I imagine that'll mean the team for Saturday will be:

Ruddy
    Martin Bennett Bassong Whittaker/Garrido
    Redmond Fer Howson Olsson
    Hooper Elmander​

an injury to Redmond or Hooper and we're really starting to look weak going forward.

5. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Confirmed by the Pink'un tonight. Hughton must must must ditch the wingers in our formation and try something different (5-3-2? 4-4-2 with a diamond?). We can't play Redmond and Olsson out there every game between now and Snoddy coming back, and nor should we rush Snodgrass back unnecessarily.

Unfortunately I feel we're going to be hampered by Hughton's tactical stubbornness and see square pegs in round holes for a bit :no:. Fwiw I agree with Din's team, only I think Turner will play and Bennett will make way.

6. Palaceforever20

Palaceforever20 Registered User

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Redmond tore us to shreds last season at Selhurst so a little worried about him.

7. PUA

PUA Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    The best thing to do would probably be to play a diamond - but it does depend how Palace play as well.

However, I think he will stick to the same formation - Olsson left, Redmond right, or he might even put Whittaker on the right wing like he did against Man City. Earlier in the season (against Hull I think) he even put Howson on the wing rather than just change the system.

The bit I fail to understand is that it is not working. If we were winning games consistently I would understand it. We are not.
    We have won just 7 games in the last 33 - NOWHERE near good enough.

8. Canary Fairy

Canary Fairy Bring me sunshine :)

Supports:
    The Canaries
    With all our injuries, I have a feeling the board might not sack Hughton even if we fail to get a result on Saturday. Like PUA says above, though, we've won 7 games in the last 33 and it really isn't anywhere near good enough.

9. PUA

PUA Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    This was on Sky: http://www1.skysports.com/football/...ciano-becchio-frustrated-with-lack-of-chances

Striker Luciano Becchio has admitted his frustration at being left out of Norwich's starting line-up this season.

Since signing in January from Leeds United, Becchio has had his chances limited at Carrow Road following the arrival of strikers Ricky van Wolfswinkel, Gary Hooper and Johan Elmander in the summer.

After playing just 14 minutes of football this season, Becchio has revealed his disappointment at being left out of Chris Hughton's starting XI.

"I'm surprised and frustrated at what's happened to me," he told the Mirror.

"It's not as if there's been a problem between me and the manager. We've had no arguments, no confrontations. It's just normal and I've carried on working hard in training, scoring goals.

"If I'd been played and not done if for the team, I could understand it. Then I'd have an explanation.

"But I've not had any chance to show what I can do and I've not been given any reasons. I'm mystified by what's going on. I can't understand it at all."

After signing on deadline day 10 months ago, Becchio is eager to prove his worth on the Premier League stage. However, his lack of playing time has caused the 29-year-old to consider his future at Carrow Road.

He said: "I've not had the chance and I'm not getting any answers either. If the club don't want me, what was the point of signing me?

"If I'm not helping the team, what's the point in me staying? I can't figure it out at all."

I have to agree with him to be honest. The entire thing is bizarre - I was quite pleased we brought him in as Morison was not scoring or doing much else. We obviously swapped him along with some money and he was one of the most prolific strikers in the Championship yet has barely kicked a ball since being here.

If the strikers who were playing were scoring lots of goals it would be more understandable...

10. NcfcDin

NcfcDin Hold The Door

Supports:
    Norwich City
    He deserves a chance definitely. Have to agree with what he says. Unfortunately I can't see him getting a proper chance, particularly when RvW comes back. See him going in January.

11. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Much as he's a bit of a tit for going to the Mirror, it's hard to disagree with Becchio here.

However bad Becchio might be, let's remember that Hughton managed to bring Morison off the bench for most games this time last year...and he was absolutely terrible. For Becchio to be worse than that he'd have to be of Sunday league standard in training, an alcoholic or sleeping with Hughton's daughter.

12. NcfcDin

NcfcDin Hold The Door

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Hughton clearly isn't happy with Becchio's 'outburst'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25146117

13. AB2002

AB2002 That guy from that thing

Supports:
    Leeds United
    I really do wonder why you bothered signing him. I realise it's a step up to the Premier League but he hasn't even been given a chance and the strikers that Hughton is playing are hardly setting the division alight. Am I correct in thinking they've only got three goals between them?

14. NcfcDin

NcfcDin Hold The Door

Supports:
    Norwich City
    2 or 3. It's pretty poor. Hughton played Becchio from the start against someone last season, can't remember who, and he didn't look that great. But since then he hasn't been given a chance, except for the odd 5 minutes at the end of games.

We're apparantly interested in Ross McCormack. That really would be taking the piss. Can't see it happening though.

15. AB2002

AB2002 That guy from that thing

Supports:
    Leeds United
    F*cking hell, being a scout for Norwich must be the easiest job in football.

I'd hope that Ross takes a look at what has happened to Becchio and makes the right choice. Norwich have already taken one of our crowd favourites who has had a prolific season and let him rot on the bench since signing him. Based on Becchio's outburst this week would it be hardly surprising if he dissuaded Ross from joining?

Like you say, I'd be very surprised if that one happens. He's already turned down a move to a club who put in at least three bids for him and responded by signing a new deal with us.

And if Premier League football is the dream, accept it, we might be a division above you next season.

16. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    It's been said that the Becchio deal was more to get rid of Morison than because we were at all desperate to sign Becchio. It would seem to make sense because he simply never gets used.

I've not heard the McCormack rumour (probably some lazy journalist seeing a Leeds player doing well and linking them with us) but tbf 3 out of the 4 signings have been relative successes here if he was looking for a reference. But yeh like you say, it's highly possible we'll be in the same division next year.

17. NcfcDin

NcfcDin Hold The Door

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Here's a little nugget of info that I found out today. Don't know if anyone else knows this.

David Beckham and Rio Ferdinand both had trials at Norwich as youngsters.

18. Dion

Dion Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Knew about Beckham, didn't know Ferdinand.

Don't suppose we'd have ever signed Gary Doherty and Luke Chadwick if we'd kept those two, so no regrets.

19. PUA

PUA Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    Knew about Beckham - after having a trial here he was kept until the end and they told him they were interested in signing him. He seemed embarrassed as he had signed for Man Utd literally weeks before.

Another nugget of info - Norwich had agreed to sign Jussi Jaaskelainen for around £100k before he went to Bolton. We took too long pushing the transfer through. He has been one of the most consistent and longest serving Prem goalkeepers, even now he is still decent.

20. NcfcDin

NcfcDin Hold The Door

Supports:
    Norwich City
    Seb Bassong has signed a new deal keeping here since 2016. Him and Ruddy now signed, looked good.