1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

The Race To League One

Discussion in 'Championship' started by Panja, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Hugh Jerection

Hugh Jerection Registered User

Supports:
    Cardiff City
    It's why we love the Championship, we won away games at Watford, Bournemouth and Swansea and lost at yours, no shame in that but anything is possible in this league. Good luck.

2. BelizeHatter

BelizeHatter Registered User

Supports:
    Luton Town
    Championship is the fifth biggest League in Europe they say, and probably one of the most competitive still. Parachute payments affecting and skewing it badly nowadays though.

3. HappilyLost

HappilyLost Registered User

Supports:
    Millwall
    Tell that to Hull and Sunderland.

I don't think the parachute payments having an effect are anything new. This season it may seem like that as Norwich are well run, Watford didn't offload any of their players during the transfer window, and it was the same squad who were finishing 10th - 18th every other season in the Premiership pretty much.

Meanwhile Bournemouth seem to be struggling and if they don't go up this season I can see them ending up like Middlesbrough, knocking around the Championship for a while.

You still have Barnsley, Reading and Brentford in the top 6 who have a great chance of promotion.

4. BelizeHatter

Supports:
    Luton Town
    Thats why i said nowadays. Both your examples were run like basket cases. Any decent financial and/or football Management and you are very heavily favoured to do well coming down from the Prem.

Its not a level playing field like 20 yrs ago........by big boy design so you dont get a Sunderland or Man City in the lower leagues ever again

5. HappilyLost

Supports:
    Millwall
    You literally, currently have Sunderland in the lower leagues, and this is their third season in League One. You also have Ipswich down there which is quite a big club with regards to attendances.

Leeds, Leicester, Wolves, Southampton, Sheffield United and Norwich have all been in League One within the last 10 years as well. Sheffield Wednesday will most likely be there soon.

Teams go up and down if they are run well/badly, I'm sure you weren't complaining of financial inequalities when Luton were in the conference?

6. BelizeHatter

Supports:
    Luton Town
    I most certainly was we we were a basket case and the FA and EFL added to it ;-) lots if complaining

7. BelizeHatter

Supports:
    Luton Town
    Teams do ebb and flow everywhere except the challenge for the Prem. Those coming down from the Prem do not any more and won't going forward, as there is more and more money for them. They can keep half their Prem Squad and thats enough to bounce back with the PP money and make it a closed shop

8. HappilyLost

Supports:
    Millwall
    I don't see this being a new problem in the last two years though. I don't think the Premiership is a closed shop as such, I think in our lifetimes, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Man United, Liverpool and Tottenham will never get relegated. Leicester are also looking like a well run club and will probably join that group in the next 5 years if they continue to progress.

The other teams only need a couple of bad recruitment windows (such as Watford/Bournemouth had prior to their relegations) to drop out from the Premiership. When they get relegated, if they continue that poor recruiting, then they'll struggle such as Stoke 2 years ago.

Why were Watford able to hold onto their players last window? Maybe CoronaVirus impacted buying clubs finances? A lot of their players are old and not the type of players clubs should be after.

The parachute payments obviously are a help to the clubs getting relegated. I don't think this is anything new though in the last 5/10 years.

9. BelizeHatter

Supports:
    Luton Town
    Weve seen Man City in the third teir after being founders of the Prem League. Wont happen again to any club that size. They have made sure of that

10. BelizeHatter

Supports:
    Luton Town
    We are saying the same thing that its over the last five years or so, just that Clubs are making better use and smarter with the huge sums if money that they can keep a few key players to ensure they bounce back. Yes some dont like Bournemouth havr struggled this season with what looks a poor appointment. Watford too but they each just keep firing and hiring until they get it right

11. HappilyLost

Supports:
    Millwall
    That has more to do with them being taken over by an oil rich country than Premiership money though.

You currently have Sunderland in League One though. I would argue they are as big as Man City were, completely disproving your point. Not to mention the other big clubs that have played in League One in the last 10 years. The Man City who were in League One (I remember them beating Gillingham at Wembley in the play-off final) are a completely different Man City to the one that exists now.

The biggest change in English football in the last 21 years was Roman Abramovich, and the beginning of oil rich owners.

12. BelizeHatter

Supports:
    Luton Town
    The flip side is that maybe the Championship is similar in that clubs promoted struggle and that becomes more of a closed shop too. Last season the promoted sides struggled. This season too.

13. BelizeHatter

Supports:
    Luton Town
    Maybe its just another cycle. But i suspect its monetary and and will become the norm, not the standard, stiffling the up and coming teams. The gap in skill difference of the league above becomes bigger and better with the drip down of higher quality overseas players increases better players drop down. Always been the way but now we have the Worlds very best at the top.

#293 BelizeHatter, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  14. HappilyLost

Supports:
    Millwall
    But hasn't money always been the norm? Liverpool/Man United have always been at the top of the pyramid as far as I'm aware due to their bigger crowds. There was a while when Man United dropped below, but they soon returned to the top.

People may say that success stories like Brian Clough taking Nottm Forest up will never happen again, but didn't we have Leicester 5 years ago? I guess you are feeling disillusioned by it all due to Luton reaching their limits as a club, much like ourselves. A mid-table Championship team is the height of what we can achieve with our budgets and crowd size, barring one magnificent season where we sneak into the play-offs and get promoted.

When was Luton ever a high achieving top side team though? In my lifetime I don't remember them ever challenging the top sides in the country.

Barring becoming more like the American system, with a draft system. I'm not sure what we would change.

I think the youth system needs to be looked at. We no longer have one due to it being no longer financially viable.

15. BelizeHatter

Supports:
    Luton Town
    We are nowhere near our limit. We are just emerging ;-)

16. BelizeHatter

Supports:
    Luton Town
    Disillusioned with how football has moved away from the working mans entertainment to a money grab.

Owl1969 likes this.
  17. Mowgli

Mowgli Registered User

Supports:
    Wycombe Wanderers
    Still fighting! Rotherham 0 Wycombe 3. :bananadance

18. Donnyrovers90

Donnyrovers90 Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    You may not stay up but it’s been an incredibly respectable effort from you this season, just a shame the fans couldn’t have been in to soak up some of these wins!

Mowgli likes this.
  19. prestonmike

prestonmike Registered User

Supports:
    preston
    great result for Preston today, think that should see us safe now, despite Rotherham having games in hand, I think the current bottom 3 will now go down

20. Adz

Adz Pizza Champions 2021.

Supports:
    Sunderland AFC
    Yes mate, he was in our academy but I know him personally so was just curious of a Coventry fans opinion of him. Glad he’s had a chance though.