1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Things You Hate About Modern Football

Discussion in 'General British Football' started by SE25, Mar 13, 2012.

1. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    Surprise, surprise, United away on the telly again and guess who's co-commentator. :angryfire

FranniesTache and Minty like this.
  2. Redlar

Redlar Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Fans who rationalize it out as being somehow OK, because the league is so much more important.

To be fair, Carragher gets on my wick too. Moreso than Macca even. And I am a scouser.

Pundits, bar just a few, are in general, absolute idiots who talk a load of bull.

Agree with this however, there is a growing number of people will tell you the EPL has been better for football.

I have argued elsewhere, that in the 25 years prior to the EPL, more English champions won European Champions cups, than those in the EPL era. Might as well add, England won a World Cup.

Clappers at Leicester need to go. Didn't know Bournemouth have them too.........

Assume they're are something you can whap against your thigh while recording the match on your phone.

3. Cotterill:49

Cotterill:49 Registered User

Supports:
    Swansea City AFC
    Football twitter.

FranniesTache likes this.
  4. Adam

Adam Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    One thing I hate about the modern game is how stats are often misused, as well as the general overanalysing of the game. It's now less a matter of what you feel about a player and more about what you can demonstrate with stats.

I've had disagreements with friends over players a thousand times but more and more it's coming down to 'Yeah but his goal to game ratio is X.' or 'His pass completion is Y.'. Reducing players down to datapoints and a mathemathical equation makes me wonder what point there is in even discussing the game. Before someone starts moaning, that's not to say stats have no value or that they're even inaccurate, it's just the way people talk about the game in recent times has shifted and IMO become far less interesting.

If football is to become more a game of the head than the heart then I have no particular interest in it. I think this change is probably a result of the internet so people can boast about their knowledge by posting obscure stats and Sky punditry going into a maddening detail on the ins and out of every move in the game.

Suomi, andy58bee, SamB_SCFC and 3 others like this.
  5. Dez

Dez Likely to cause offence.

Supports:
    Wrexham
    Taking a knee before every game. I'm supportive of ending police brutality & ending racial discrimination (as anyone should), but what has this act after KO of every game achieved?

Most players appear to be going through the motions when it's called now, and the more it's done the more it dilutes/loses the original message. Surely the only way to stamp out racism in football is by handing lengthy bans to those with views falling outside the spirit of the game?

johnnyT likes this.
  6. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wales
    Goal celebrations being moaned about by Government officials because of Covid. There was me thinking football was a sport in which 22 players plus subs are all in close proximity of each other for 90 plus minutes so no social distancing exists anyway.

7. Dez

Supports:
    Wrexham
    Surely if goal celebrations are now verboten, the rugby has to stop? How the f**k are they going to socially-distance whilst tackling or in scrums? :laugh:

8. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wales

It really is a daft idea to ban celebrating a goal but players can jostle each other while defending / attacking a corner or freekick.

9. KaneD

KaneD Registered User

Supports:
    Newport County
    Turn it into "Touch Rugby" whilst wearing surgical gloves and a face covering.

10. Dez

Supports:
    Wrexham
    Latex-clad grappling shouldn't enter mainstream, fella.

11. KaneD

KaneD Registered User

Supports:
    Newport County
    People would pay good money for that type of thing !!

I've just discovered that the BBC pay Jermaine Jenas £200k per year for his commentary (?)....200k !!
    That pi55es me off

HPC2 likes this.
  12. Dez

Supports:
    Wrexham

Faux outrage over Celtic not performing a guard of honour for Rangers. The earliest one I can remember was when SAF retired as United manager, so it's not as if it's some historic tradition being disrespected here, just more modern football nonsense to promote chummy friendship between bitter rivals.

FranniesTache and StretfordEnd like this.
  13. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
    I agree totally, it may be different if the Champions weren't your most detested rivals.

14. Dez

Supports:
    Wrexham
    I know, what the f**k were they even thinking suggesting it?

15. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    Guards of honour have happened longer than suggested tbf? Swear I remember at least one between 2000-2010 years.

What is a guard of honour? Is it compulsory? Who has had one?
    Guards of honour are not exclusive to the modern era, and occurred as far back as 1955 when Manchester United provided one for Chelsea.

United continued the tradition in 1991, as they celebrated the Gunners' league title win, giving them a guard of honour at Highbury. The fact Arsenal beat Liverpool to that title may have had something to do with it.

#2395 MrLeeLemon, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  16. Dez

Supports:
    Wrexham
    I've barely noticed them, and they only seem to commemorate very special occasions like a long-time player or manager retiring, i.e. SAF or Steven Gerrard, a treble/quadruple or something like that.

There is absolutely nothing special about Rangers winning the Scottish title for the 55th time :laugh:

17. MrLeeLemon

MrLeeLemon 50+1

Supports:
    +1
    I dunno, it seems to just be a club by club basis and one particular reason is when a club wins a title early. The game before Gerrard got one at Anfield, Liverpool gave one to title winners Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

I just don't think it is a modern football issue, seeing that it has happened on and off since for about 70 years.

18. KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari Registered User

Supports:
    Norwich
    Rio Ferdinand telling us to be nice people.

19. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Hope he doesn't tell people to be on time or in the right place at the right time.

;)

20. Taffy

Taffy C'mon you reds.

Supports:
    Wales
    The abuse players get online.

Bunch of tossers can now hide behind a computer screen and say whatever they want.