1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Under 21s

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Super_horns, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Sme

Sme Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Stepping down! He should have been sacked! Embarrassing.

2. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    He was out of contract anyway so probably saved a few quid.

#62 Super_horns, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  3. StewieJT

StewieJT Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    :dance:

Great news. Useless manager.

4. Sme

Sme Registered User

Supports:
    Liverpool
    It just irritates me that on his CV it will say left job rather than SACKED! :laugh:

Super_horns likes this.
  5. Donnyrovers90

Donnyrovers90 Registered User

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    Our u21s are into the final against Germany. Some very promising players in this team particularly in midfield.

I fancy us to beat Germany more than I would if we were playing Netherlands

6. JimJams

JimJams Registered User

Supports:
    Leicester
    Germany were far superior to the Dutch in that game.

7. Dirk

Dirk Bundesliga Zwei, wir sind dabei!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    Was a great match yesterday against the Netherlands (as always). 4 times goalposts for our team. Should've been a way more comfortable win than the 2-1. But I don't complain. A win against the Dutch is always the icing on the cake.

Now we're again in the U21 final. Third time in a row. Coach Stefan Kuntz (sounds only like your swear word but is a really nice guy and a fantastic coach) has done it again. A wizard!

Tbh I thought we would play against the Spaniards again in the final like the last two finals. But heyho, the Portuguese now.
    Portugal are a bit of favourites here because for our team it's already more than we had hoped for. Before the tournament nobody thought that we would be in the final again, everybody talked about the crisis we have with our youth and here we are again, in the final.

If we win it would be our 3rd title after 2009, 2017 (in 2019 we lost against Spain)
    If Portugal wins it would be their first title in U21

#67 Dirk, Jun 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    Donnyrovers90 likes this.
  8. Donnyrovers90

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    Yeah I still can’t believe we never beat Sweden in the final in 2015, so it would be nice to get our first one over the line

9. Oli H.

Oli H. Registered User

Supports:
    Bayern
    Germany convincingly beat the Dutch, and I think the Portuguese got a bit lucky against the eternally good Spaniards. Nevertheless, any win against Spain is a statement and Portugal are also very talented. I'm looking forward to this final.

I agree with Dirk. Before the tournament began, and even after the first game against Hungary, I thought these players were unheard of and doomed (the way England got ridiculed is what I feared), but after notable games, such as twice against the Netherlands, as well as Denmark, I believe this team has the right coaching, routines and mentality to win the final. There are some German players with good niche qualities, but no real superstar. Maybe that treatment of all the Germans as equals strengthens the whole team.

10. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Oli H. and Dirk like this.
  11. Donnyrovers90

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    Well done @Dirk Germany completely deserved the win. We barely got out of our own half in the first half and just weren’t good enough.

Big shame as we’ve got some very talented players that will play a big part in the senior squads future

Dirk likes this.
  12. Oli H.

Oli H. Registered User

Supports:
    Bayern
    Thanks! @Super_horns @Donnyrovers90 Portugal are a good side and started the first 10-15 minutes better, but Germany found their way in and defended brilliantly, and attacked well too. Portugal still created a few half chances, but I think the Germans created a few more overall. The goal was scored in the second half by Anderlecht striker, Lukas Nmecha, after a good run and pass from Ridle Baku. That made Nmecha the topscorer of the tournament with four. The defending of the backline, midfield and forwards was all brilliant to secure the victory, while the Germans still managed to create chances for the 2:0, which thankfully wasn't needed. After seeing the games against Denmark, the semi against the Netherlands and the final, I think I underrated my own team a bit. I was also impressed with their composure, offensive coordination, shielding and dribbling ability, able to keep hold of the ball in tricky situations.

Stefan Kuntz has now won two out of three U21 finals, all three finals achieved in a row. The Germans again looked so well coached, so Kuntz has done a brilliant job. Had Flick stayed at Bayern, Kuntz was my pick for the seniors role, although the ability to handle the additional requirement of telling superstars what to do and what's forbidden would've been unknown.

Donnyrovers90 and Super_horns like this.
  13. Dirk

Dirk Bundesliga Zwei, wir sind dabei!

Supports:
    Hamburger SV
    yeah, well done, me :D

Well done, Lukas Nmecha. (born in Hamburg ;) )

This wasn't the most talented U21 we ever had but the team spirit in this tournament was brilliant. Hopefully something of it will move over to the "adults" in next weeks Euro 2021. The total commitment shown by all in this tournament (with its unusual schedule this time) was the key to success. Another masterpiece by coach Stefan Kuntz. As Oli said, if Hansi Flick wouldn't be available he would've also been a great choice for our new Bundestrainer after the Euro.

Oli H. and Super_horns like this.
  14. Donnyrovers90

Supports:
    Doncaster/ Sporting
    It was a nice audition for Nmecha, we’re looking at bringing him to Lisbon on loan apparently