1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome Back Blackpool

Discussion in 'Championship' started by ForestRob, May 30, 2021.

1. Pubclown

Pubclown Play Off Kings

Supports:
    Blackpool
    I'll miss it about as much as you lot missed it. Was weird seeing about 900 cod heads in your away stand for a league game.

2. Kip_

Kip_ Registered User

Supports:
    Blackpool
    We'll be fine in the Championship. All the promoted teams will. Looking forward to going to some decent grounds and Deepdale.

It'll be interesting to see how Neil Critchley fares next year, we may have just got an exceptional manager in the making.

3. McKenna's Wand

McKenna's Wand Registered User

Supports:
    Preston
    I'll remember this post, massively under estimating the gap between the two leagues these days.

Your lot were calling for Critchley to be sacked in the first half of the season.

Also I wouldn't bank on there being away fans next season.

4. RednBlacklife

RednBlacklife Registered User

Supports:
    AFC Bournemouth
    I'm going January earliest for away fans sadly. But if there's legally no restrictions, not sure how that affects it.

5. BelizeHatter

BelizeHatter Registered User

Supports:
    Luton Town
    Thats depressing. I thought the UK was fully opening up this summer and football was returning to normal.

Will swing home and away form back on its head again with big advantage playing at home again.

6. Super_horns

Super_horns WATFORD Till I Die
    Staff Member

Supports:
    Watford
    Depends on the Indian variant and how the vaccine copes against it .

7. RedDogChris

RedDogChris Registered User

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Sadly McKenna is right the gap between the championship and league one is massive these days.

I do think out of the three Blackpool will have enough about them to cope. They ended the season very strongly and only got better and better.

They will be fine I feel I have massive doubts about the other two mind

8. McKenna's Wand

Supports:
    Preston
    I'm no expect, I just feel there will still be some opposition of large groups of people travelling from one city to another.

Like Super Horns says, it'll depend on variants and local lockdowns too.

Still not over the hump.

9. McKenna's Wand

Supports:
    Preston
    Don't really agree with that thinking (biased I know), Hull were clearly the best team in the league and their manager at least has some experience in the Championship.

Darren Ferguson more so, maybe the useless twat will finally learn how to cope in this league.

Coventry were the only side to stay up last season out of the promoted clubs and they had an experienced manager in Robins, makes a big difference imo. Same with us when we had Grayson.

All three sides need major strengthening, as well as replacing loan players who have gone back.

10. RedDogChris

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    McCann spectacularly failed in the championship last time though and I wasn't that convinced in their promotion campaign, they were aided by having the best squad in the league by some distance

As you implied Ferguson and Peterborough have always struggled above league one. You have to remember Critchley only took over Blackpool last year and had a bedding in period which contributed to a slow start.

Once he put his stamp and philosophy on the side they took off, I think he has the most nous and contacts to do the best out of the three. I know you are going to disagree tbh I probably would if the team was Derby County instead of Blackpool tbf

DerbyFanMatt likes this.
  11. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    In fairness to McCann, they were a bottom half side even with Bowen and Grosicki. When they left they had hardly anyone who was good enough for this level. Sure it was pretty spectacular the way they went down but it was a dreadful side too. Impressive they've come back up so easily imo.

McKenna's Wand likes this.
  12. McKenna's Wand

Supports:
    Preston
    Critchley wouldn't be getting the same plaudits if he hadn't come from Liverpool.

People used to speak about Karl Robinson the same way.

Done well obviously but League One is complete shite, get good loans in and you will be in the mix.

13. McKenna's Wand

Supports:
    Preston
    Didn't a bunch of players like Lichaj and Irvine also refuse to play because they weren't getting paid?

Pretty sure he lost more than half of his first eleven.

JoshBCFC likes this.
  14. RedDogChris

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Working at big clubs or with good players previously is usually advantage even at this level. Look at how Steve Coopers contacts at Swansea got him so many good young loan players apart from Ayew it was the main reason they've finished in the top 6 for two seasons on the bounce.

I expect Critchley will do similar though and it will help Blackpool get to where they need to be

15. Pubclown

Pubclown Play Off Kings

Supports:
    Blackpool
    I don't recall many fans calling for him to go, a couple of morons maybe but I wanted to give him the full season regardless of how we were doing. We'd signed a completely new team so was always going to take time to gel.

I don't think the club will under estimate this league. Plans have been in place for weeks regarding next season (2 scenario's were done apparently)

16. McKenna's Wand

Supports:
    Preston
    Swansea got to top six by nicking all of our targets :laugh:

17. RedDogChris

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    Lured in by Coopers good looks obviously

McKenna's Wand likes this.
  18. Tigerferry

Tigerferry Hull City is our name

Supports:
    Hull City
    Blackpool may have a bit of an advantage in terms of recruitment because Critchley is similar to Cooper in the sense he can bring in good loanees from the Premier League.

You mention Blackpool's excellent end of the season form while ignoring ours - 11 wins in our last 15 and only one defeat, the latter of which was on the final day when the job was done. If Blackpool's form can continue onto the new season, so can ours.

We also spent essentially the entire season ahead of Blackpool.

I agree that McCann has a lot to prove after that disastrous end last time out. No excuse other than a massive points deduction can justify how low we sunk. There's also good reason to doubt that our best players this season may not make the step up - as last time out their quality here was inconsistent to poor - but the morale around the squad is good and we have rebuilt from losing Bowen & Grosicki.

I think all three promoted sides will struggle. The gap between the divisions is definitely there. I just don't think Blackpool are the best ones equipped to stay up. We're about the same. Bottom 8 for all promoted sides.

19. RedDogChris

Supports:
    Nottingham Forest
    We'll see I'm hoping the sheep molesting inbreds will be taking up one spot at least anyway

20. JoshBCFC

JoshBCFC Registered User

Supports:
    Bristol City FC
    I agree I'd love to see Cardiff go down too