1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Which is the best sporting Country?

Discussion in 'General Sport' started by Owzat, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Owzat

Owzat New Member

Which Country is the best at sports overall?

2. Athers

Athers Guest

its certainly Australia :cry:

3. TA#6

TA#6 Mr Nice Guy

if you do this by how many medals won at oylimpic/world championships then surely USA or Russia (USSR) would be some way in front.

however its England of course......ahem:D

4. The Truth

The Truth Uberdose

Pound-for-pound it has to be Australia. Considering the small size of their nation (population wise), they do remarkably well and dominate in a number of sporting fields - rugby (both codes), cricket, swimming etc. I know their country invests a lot in sporting success - a hell of a lot more than Britain - but their record is outstanding nonetheless.

5. Owzat

Owzat New Member

Whilst England are not the best country in many sports, we do have a team/individual in the upper echelons of a lot of sports - football, cricket, tennis, golf, athletics, rugby....

Australia surprisingly lack a quality football team, they are ranked only 50th in the World out of the 203 teams currently ranked

6. Grim Reaper

Grim Reaper I'd Like Some Pie!!

Supports:
    Newcastle
    Definately not England - look at our cricket team!! :laugh:

Australia must be up there

Grimmy :D

7. Owzat

Owzat New Member

We are top ten and you would be surprised how many countries have a team!

Test Nations
    England
    Australia
    Pakistan
    South Africa
    West Indies
    India
    Sri Lanka
    New Zealand
    Zimbabwe
    Bangladesh

Countries at the ICC Trophy 2001 (Toronto)
    Argentina
    Bermuda
    Canada
    Denmark
    East & Central Africa
    Fiji
    France
    Germany
    Gibraltar
    Holland
    Hong Kong
    Ireland
    Israel
    Italy
    Malaysia
    Nepal
    Namibia
    Papua New Guinea
    Scotland
    Singapore
    UAE
    Uganda
    USA
    West Africa

ICC Trophy 2001 (Toronto)

It may not be as popular as football, but cricket is more popular Worldwide than people would have you believe. I guess a lot of people assume there is no cricket outside Test cricket and ODIs, since that is the highest level. I guess the ICC Trophy is like non-league football teams trying to get through to the FA Cup 3rd round (World Cup). Even USA have a cricket team :laugh:

8. athimick

athimick Prediction Champ

The Aussies always seem to well at most sports, as do the French and the Germans. The USA is traditionally a strong nation in many sports but with their population of over 200m it is only to be expected. I would say over all it has to be Australia for me

9. great white

great white Registered User

Supports:
    The Grecians
    The French have invested in sport in a serious way over the last 15-20 years...The biggest impact you already know of...but many other olympic golds in Judo, fencing, athletics and evidently some of the main winter sports see France actually on the podium more often than not..look at WRC which car won the title??..

Thankfully they don't play cricket here...

10. Kewell

Kewell Australian Captain

Supports:
    Leeds, Melbourne, Australia
    If you're going by medals per capita Australia would have won at least the previous two Olympic Games. It really is astonishing how much of a sporting mad (and sporting diverse) nation this is. Plus with all the acadamies and institutes for sports that we have it's no wonder we do so well, we invest enough money.

11. _00_deathscar

_00_deathscar New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I've played for Hong Kong in the U-17s, U-15s and U-13s for the South East Asia Tour.

Managed the semis once, finals twice.

12. alchymy

alchymy Norfolk Frost

You would think that New Zealand could somehow manage to only do a sixth of what Australia does - to take the title - but sadly it is not so. :(

13. Owzat

Owzat New Member

It is probably between Australia and England, with one or two European countries coming close. England has a good football team which the Australian's don't, even though Australia are far better at a number of sports than England. I don't recall too many top Australians at sports like F1, snooker, and darts, so I don't think Australia are clear-cut winners :no: They are very good at sports like rugby, cricket, tennis and hockey, but not so good at others.

I would say England are the best all-round at sports because they are have top players/teams in most sports even if they are not the best at many of them :cool:

14. badattitude

badattitude The Dirtiest Player in the Game ...Woooo!

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Not being arrogant..but simply do to our size and melting pot makeup..the USA is the top sports NAtion ..whether it be leagues or talent.

15. Owzat

Owzat New Member

I should have mentioned USA, but I think they fall short in a number of sports such as cricket, hockey, darts, F1, rugby. For a country the size of USA, they ought to be better in those sports and truthfully ought to be the strongest sporting nation overall. I don't think they are, possibly due to the US obsession with sports such as basketball, baseball, American football and ice hockey.

It would be close between England, Australia and USA

#15 Owzat, Jan 6, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2003
  16. badattitude

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Hockey? ahah you're surely joking right? we won the last world cup in 1996 and we just won the silver at the olympics..we don't play cricket here..All you need to do is go look at our Olympic results from track and field to boxing to Skiing to Wrestling Golf,Tennis ,boating..seriously it's not even a conversation..and not to arrogant here either..England isn't a pimple on our arce..
    And darts..is something you play in a bar when bored..Darts is not a sport ..it's an activity ,like cards or pool(something we own as well)..

17. Owzat

Owzat New Member

Field hockey not ice hockey

Erm, actually you do :rolleyes: Though not to the same level as Test playing nations of course. USA entered the ICC Trophy held last in Toronto, I believe.

I see you skipped round sports like rugby USA is strong at a lot of sports as they should be for a nation of USA's size. But they do fall short in other sports which maybe USA doesn't regard as worthy :no: Just because snooker and darts are indoors doesn't necessarily mean they aren't sports.

I think this is unlikely to end in a resolution, you've had your say and I've had mine :D

18. The Truth

The Truth Uberdose

I don't think England can honestly be considered the top sporting nation as we don't dominate in any of the 'major' sports. Australia rule the roost at cricket and both rugby codes whilst the US dominate at golf, tennis, track and field etc. There's a big difference between being competitive in a number of sports and being the best in a few of them.

19. badattitude

Supports:
    Manchester United
    Don't slight the USA in Rugby either...it's played at every college small to large in the country..while we not be dominate on the world level that does not mean we are not good. It is my understanding ,albeit limited,,US Rugby is going thru an overhaul.
    And lastly I have not even tapped into the massive size and massive amounts of money and attention that go into American college athletics..it's beyond comprehension.

20. Owzat

Owzat New Member

I'm not criticising USA in any way :no: To be one of the top ten countries overall would not constitute a "sleight" on USA, let alone top three

Is it better to be top at a few sports and crap at the others or at a high standard in most sports? England have a top ten player/team in a lot of sports - football, cricket, tennis, rugby to name but a few. I think you have to look at the levels over all sports