1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest - we need your help! Please read the thread linked below to help make FF a better place for all. Click here to learn how you can help
    Dismiss Notice

Which is the best sporting Country?

Discussion in 'General Sport' started by Owzat, Dec 29, 2002.

1. The Truth

The Truth Uberdose

Personally I'd rather be top in a few sports - at least that entitles you to bragging rights. Look at Tim Henman - he may be a top ten player but he's hardly someone to get excited about. I'm afraid it has to be Australia for me.

2. FtangFtang

FtangFtang Registered User

The baaaasturds. Time to start putting the record straight next year on their own dung heap.

3. decbag

decbag Joe Soap

Most countries also have a bobsled team. That however does not make it a truly International sport. Cricket in the main, is played by England and former English colonies. It didn't spread like football did.
    I think cricket is a truly awful game and is given far too much coverage.

4. Owzat

Owzat New Member

I don't know too much about the domestic cricket played in other countries, but there are a lot of countries who compete in the ICC Trophy.

Test Nations
    England
    Australia
    Pakistan
    South Africa
    West Indies
    India
    Sri Lanka
    New Zealand
    Zimbabwe
    Bangladesh

(Kenya also qualified automatically for the World Cup)

[/B]Countries at the ICC Trophy 2001 (Toronto)[/B]
    Argentina
    Bermuda
    Canada
    Denmark
    East & Central Africa
    Fiji
    France
    Germany
    Gibraltar
    Holland
    Hong Kong
    Ireland
    Israel
    Italy
    Malaysia
    Nepal
    Namibia
    Papua New Guinea
    Scotland
    Singapore
    UAE
    Uganda
    USA
    West Africa

You'd better tell those countries cricket isn't a "truly international sport"! :rolleyes:

I think you are making a lot of assumptions about something which you know little about. :no:

5. decbag

decbag Joe Soap

What I'msaying is, only the test nations are countries that take cricket seriously and they're all former English colonies. Sure these other countries have teams but they're picking from a miniscule player base. 99.9% of the population of these other countries don't even know their country has a cricket team.

6. Owzat

Owzat New Member

A comparison with rugby is probably fairest, both sports have about eight top international sides with a few other good sides

Rugby

Australia
    New Zealand
    South Africa
    England
    France
    Ireland
    Wales
    Scotland

+ Italy, Romania, Argentina

Cricket

Australia
    New Zealand
    South Africa
    England
    Pakistan
    West Indies
    India
    Sri Lanka

+ Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, Kenya

You wouldn't class rugby as anything other than a "truly international sport"

7. _00_deathscar

_00_deathscar New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    As Owzat mentioned, there are quite a lot of teams that compete in the ICC Champions Trophy, and a few of them do take it rather seriously - and any professional should take their profession seriously...

Ah so despite the 1 billion people in South Asia ALONE that enjoy watching cricket, you think its given far too much coverage.

I hate golf, do I think its given far too much coverage? No, because quite a few people out there like it.

8. decbag

decbag Joe Soap

I think you're both missing my point here. To answer your question, no, I wouldn't class rugby as a truly international sport. I was trying to say that football is probably the only true international sport. ie. That is taken seriously all over the world. That's why it is extremely difficult to judge who is the greatest sporting nation. I mean Austria are excellent at skiing, slalom, downhill, jumping and other winter sports. Should they be classed as a top sporting nation because they excell in a sport many other countries don't compete in. But I'm sure you could still count as many countries competing in these sports as do in cricket. That was my point, but if I was pushed for an answer I'd say Australia.

9. Owzat

Owzat New Member

I would classify slalom, downhill etc events and lump them together as one sport - "winter sports" as I would 400m, long jump etc as "athletics".

10. decbag

decbag Joe Soap

Are you saying that athletics is just one sport?
    Last time I checked the 100m was fairly different to the shot-putt. Winter sports can't be classed as just one sport either. That would be like saying football, basketball, rugby.... are all just one sport- "ball sports".

11. Owzat

Owzat New Member

100m is an event, shot-put is a different event.
    There is no 100m World Championship or 100m World Cup as there is no World Cup for slalom. That is why I classify them together, because they are a group of events. The best country at athletics is the one who does the best over the whole range of events

#31 Owzat, Jan 17, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2003
  12. Miami Fusion FC

Miami Fusion FC Registered User

football is the most popular team sport in the world. Basketball may be second ( i know, I know, you don't play basketball in the UK) basketball is played all over Europe, all over North America and all over South America and even Australia has the Tall Blacks.

cricket and Rugby aren't really interntaional sports....only a few countries play those sports...regardless of who was in the testing.

So who are the top sporting nations?

USA, the former Soviet Union, Australia....and for the population size you can't ignore Kenya. Yes, population size does help the USA. Plus, well, having Lance Armstrong doesn't hurt either.

13. Kewell

Kewell Australian Captain

Supports:
    Leeds, Melbourne, Australia
    Australia has the Boomers for basketball, and in the past four Olympic Games we've finished 4th (1988), 6th (1992), 4th (1996) and 4th (2000). For the women we have the Opals, and in the past three World Championships we've finished 4th (1994), 3rd (1998), 3rd (2002). In the past two Olympics we've finished 3rd (1996) and 2nd (2000). Not bad for our fifth most popular sport I think. So saying Australia 'even' has the 'tall blacks' kind of undermines what we have achieved in the sport.

As for cricket and rugby (although I'm not a huge fan of the sport), well I can consider them an international sport. Not many sports can boast teams from all corners of the globe. Both have teams from most continents.

I've made the argument before but surely this has to be assessed per capita? Then there would be no question about the result.

How about I pose another question, What is the sporting capital of the world? As in, which city revolves most, partcipates and is most involved with sport.

14. Generator

Generator Aussie

League is a dying sport, Cricket is liked for some strange reason, and only Union (of the three) has a decent international field.

But that is just me. I don't like League, I only watch the Union when we play the Kiwis, and I'm indifferent to all levels of Cricket, except that I hate it on 35'C + days.

I don't know anything about the sporting capital of the world, because while some cities may have great teams, they could also have millions of people. But I'll have a go...
    I'd have to say Adelaide, because it has fewer people than Melbourne but it also 'boasts' blanket AFl coverage...

15. great white

great white Registered User

Supports:
    The Grecians
    So what are the summer and winter olympics for then??

16. The Truth

The Truth Uberdose

London would have to be in with a shout here given the number of teams it has over a broad cross-section of sports. In football alone there are six Premiership sides - Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham, Fulham and Charlton. In rugby union you have the likes of Harlequins and London Irish, whilst in League there are the London Broncos. Even in the 'lesser' sports of basketball and American Football there are teams - the Towers and the Monarchs (although the latter have folded I think). For sheer range the capital has to be up there.

17. Kewell

Kewell Australian Captain

Supports:
    Leeds, Melbourne, Australia
    I was also thinking about internationally held events. Whether that be the Olympics, Commonwealth Games, World Cups (all sports), Major tennis and golf events, World Championships etc.

18. The Truth

The Truth Uberdose

Well London has had the Olympics (1948), the World Cup (1966) and European Championships (1996) in football, Cricket World Cup (1999), Rugby Union World Cup (1991) - to name but a few. In addition to this it also hosts major annual sporting events such as Wimbledon despite the fact that we only have a one-trick pony and a Canadian playing for us.

19. Owzat

Owzat New Member

But the summer and winter olympics are a collection of events. There is no individual championship held separately for the each event, they are all held together, hence my distinction
    If you don't understand the distinction I am trying to make, seek help! :eek:

As far as I am concerned, Skiing is the sport NOT slalom, athletics is the sport NOT 100m etc