1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wifi for dummies

Discussion in 'Technology & Gaming' started by Kirby, May 8, 2020.

1. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    Hi all.

Quick question regarding my home wifi. We've been with Sky for years and never had any problems, but in our current house the wifi connection only stretches as far as the back door. It barely works in the garden (despite it only being about 30 yards from the router). Think it might be something to do with the thickness of the walls.

Anyway...

I know I can stretch an ethernet cable from the router into the garden, but that means threading it through three rooms and is basically a massive pain in the arse. We have another laptop, so if I was to connect one laptop (inside) to the other (outside) using a small ethernet cable through the window would I be able to share the wifi with the outside laptop? If so, is it simple to set up?

Apologies for being such a technological retard but I'm sick of working inside all day when the weather's this good.

Have tried boosters etc. but with no joy.

Cheers.

2. StretfordEnd

StretfordEnd Fools can be kings
    Staff Member

Supports:
    20 Times Champions
  3. RM

RM Registered User

Supports:
    Reading
    If the laptops are wire-connected why would you need WiFi for the outside laptop?

4. johnnyT

johnnyT Registered User

Supports:
    Everton
    Tp link worked for me in my garden pub, its 50 yards away and it still works fine.

So normal extension lead would work if you have no outside socket. Plug 1 Tp link into router socket and 1 into your extension lead in garden.

Kirby likes this.
  5. Kirby

Kirby We count the votes

Supports:
    Crystal Palace
    You know what I mean.

Cherrs @johnnyT :duke

johnnyT likes this.